cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

How to recover uploaded files in Windchill

Blackhawk
11-Garnet

How to recover uploaded files in Windchill

Hello - I always upload my files in my workspace at the end of the day or session.  My colleagues and I have never had to recover a file that was uploaded but not checked in.  But, we are all wondering the steps to do so.  Can a user recover uploaded files or does it have to be an administrator?  Either way, what are the steps to recover uploaded files?  Can they be recovered if the workspace has been deleted?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
avillanueva
22-Sapphire I
(To:Blackhawk)

If you've uploaded a file but not checked in (or these are checked out modifications), the files exists in the user's area so they should be able to redownload them say if the local cache is blown away. I do not know if admin can "recover" but they can certainly see them. I've explained scenarios like this to my user. Say your upload your work and then your laptop goes belly up. You can connect on a different machine, login and redownload that workspace with those uploaded files just fine. 

If you delete the workspace on the server side, the files are gone kind of but the data is much harder to recover. They would be stored in the default cache vaults  on the server (admin required) but has hashed filenames and certainly unreferenced files meaning they can be cleaned up at anytime. You would have to know what timestamps to look for or some key attributes since they would have to read files as text to recover. Not ideal as admin I would say not worth effort.

If the local workspace is still there, there is a chance files are there in cache folder as "lid" files. There is a tool around community that can reverse the filenames and export the files from the local workspace to a folder. I believe its destructive so make a copy of the workspace area.  I cannot say offhand if deleting the workspace cleans these files up but I think it does. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

If you've uploaded a file but not checked in (or these are checked out modifications), the files exists in the user's area so they should be able to redownload them say if the local cache is blown away. I do not know if admin can "recover" but they can certainly see them. I've explained scenarios like this to my user. Say your upload your work and then your laptop goes belly up. You can connect on a different machine, login and redownload that workspace with those uploaded files just fine. 

If you delete the workspace on the server side, the files are gone kind of but the data is much harder to recover. They would be stored in the default cache vaults  on the server (admin required) but has hashed filenames and certainly unreferenced files meaning they can be cleaned up at anytime. You would have to know what timestamps to look for or some key attributes since they would have to read files as text to recover. Not ideal as admin I would say not worth effort.

If the local workspace is still there, there is a chance files are there in cache folder as "lid" files. There is a tool around community that can reverse the filenames and export the files from the local workspace to a folder. I believe its destructive so make a copy of the workspace area.  I cannot say offhand if deleting the workspace cleans these files up but I think it does. 

Hi @Blackhawk ,

I absolutely agree with @avillanueva .

Just one addition>

If workspace is deleted and new uploaded objects had been in, then information from database is removed.

So that moment it is not possible to recover the uploaded work without merging table. 
"CAD Filename vs vault file name"

This information is usually generated with wtBacup script, but many companies do not use it. 

PetrH

@HelesicPetr  and @avillanueva .  Thank you very much for the replies.  The scenario where your computer crashes is the one we were most concerned with.  In this scenario, let's assume the computer is not repairable and I am issued a new computer.  If I log in to Windchill and Creo with my credentials on the new computer, how does it work to download the workspaces from the server side?  

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

It should bring down the iterations and content associated with your workspace representation in the server. Modified files that were uploaded should come down too.  Easy to test. Have a user login with a different PC and try. Caution if you have your default workspace location in a common location. If you have multiple users logging into the same computer, their workspaces will get comingled in the local cache. Can create a mess.

Top Tags