cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How to set the default change task description to be different from the change notice description?

afraser-2
4-Participant

How to set the default change task description to be different from the change notice description?

I'm trying to set the default description on a change task/change activity to be some static text. I can set a default value in the type and attribute manager, and that works... Unless the user enters any text into the change notice description first.

So I guess what I'm really trying to do is to STOP the description from the change notice being used to overwrite the change task description. I'd like whatever default value I determine for the change task to always show up regardless of the value of the notice description.

I've tried looking in the type and attribute manager, in the object initialization rules... I've been tearing through help files, PTC's support site, this forum, and so far I've had no luck. Any help or ideas would be appreciated!!

Change Notice Attributes.PNG

change Task Attributes.PNG

6 REPLIES 6

What about the Start Transition from the Properties function of the change task workflow? You could put a code script in there (sorry my coding skills aren't the greatest so I don't know the exact code) that would set that field to whatever you want the very instant a task was created.

And don't you have a manually-triggered Propagate Information toggle on the Task creation page? You should be able to choose when you want the information to show up, not have it automatically forced.

Daryl

If you are using 10.2 F000 or above you can use a Change Notice Template.  In the Template you can create Change Tasks and give them their own names for the Template.  Its a quick way to easily build an Implementation Plan that starts with common patterns of needed Change Tasks.  You can have multiple templates and different Change Notice types can have their own Templates as well.

afraser-2
4-Participant
(To:JeffZemsky)

Well that sounds nice! Unfortunately I'm on 10.1 M050, (sorry I should have specified that up top).

Thanks for the idea though!

So you're in the same boat as me , well more or less, I'm 10.1 M040.

So did what I suggest above help?

afraser-2
4-Participant
(To:doehr)

It seems like a good idea to me, unfortunately my coding skills are marginal to being with and I've never touched anything java or Windchill related before. That's not to say I'm not willing to learn, but It'd need something to go off of to start... So I've been look for guides/tutorials/manuals/help files for ideas but I haven't gotten very far.

Unfortunately all I know how to do is pull the value of the attributes off of the notice/task/whatever and get them displayed in the task mails, but not actually set them since they're fully user defined.

Anyone else know what code script to put in the Start Transition of a change task to instantly set the Description field?

Top Tags