cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Installing Windchill on the cloud and selecting a provider

jpicolet
1-Newbie

Installing Windchill on the cloud and selecting a provider

We are looking into installing PTC Windchill on a virtual server in the cloud.  Currently running 3 licenses of Creo 3.0, with a desire for some others to be able to view files. 1 of those licenses is at a different site and we like the idea of not having to maintain hardware and upgrades for this system. I believe the 3 big main players are Google Cloud, Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure. Has anyone done this? Has anyone had issues with a given provider? Thoughts, comments, ideas?

Thanks,

JP

7 REPLIES 7
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:jpicolet)

PTC uses AWS for their cloud Windchill implementation.

luna
1-Newbie
(To:BenLoosli)

Hi, wanted to ask if the situation did change meanwhile. Also considering to move into the cloud. If there are some best practices which can be shared I would appreciate it.

So I went with MSFT Azure. Not sure it stands out any better than AWS or the Google service. I went off my location and server speed which based on location was a little bit faster, but probably splitting atoms. If you know what you are doing and can setup the server yourself you may have more of a preference on the service. I find the Azure interface tolerable and I am able to navigate it. I recall the AWS interface not being any better but I am not an expert on that for sure. I also upgraded my Azure support service which was $300-$400 a month for the first month so I was able to pretty much have the Azure service team do all the tasks required to get it setup to allow PTC to do the install. Once done I downgraded the service plan to the $30 basic plan and that has been all I have needed now for two years. Its just me using the vault so I set it up with the server and two, 2 terabyte drives. All in its about $475/ month including the service. I can also tell you at least with the Azure service I have rarely had any issues over two years. It has been very stable. The other piece of advise is have PTC setup two scripts to be put on the server desktop. First a backup routine that say once a week creates a backup automatically that you can then login in on occasion and delete out old backups. Secondly have them create a restart script that will stop and then re-install all the services in sequence. I have had to use it a couple times and its worked well. Lastly PTC will provide you a document defining all your setup parameters, logins, etc. Keep that and take good notes so you know everything about the setup in case you need to access or do anything it will help a lot.

Thanks and good luck.

So did you end up getting yourself setup?  I am in the exact same boat.  I have been using the PTC offered Windchill cloud service and they called me up a couple weeks ago and said they are discontinuing the service so now I have CAD data without a home so lookinng to setup a Windchill PDM essentialls database to migrate into.  I have a quote for two seats of PDM essentials, and looking to have PTC/ Tristar do the install/ configuration but I have no idea what needs to be done to get setup with Amazon or other to allow PTC/ Tristar to do the install.  Tristar is saying it will take 4-5 days do this this at $1500/ day.  We are a small startup with me the main user (90%) and then on occasions a second person who will need access.  We are small but we are medical device so its very important to have secure and reliable PDM control of the CAD files.  Any help / advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Good Afternoon,

Are you saying that PTC has stopped the cloud offering? I just had a meeting with them about that very topic.

Yea just went through it. Had to get PDM essentials, create my own virtual server on Microsoft Azure cloud and then have PTC configure it. What you need to know is whoever you choose to host it pay for fast service support response for first month because it was not easy figuring out how to get it setup and a firewall portal available. Secondly and most critical that I did not know at the time. If you are currently using the PTC cloud service you cannot export your vault history. You loose it all. You can only take a snap shot in time and export it where everything comes in as a new part.
Arshad
17-Peridot
(To:jpicolet)

• Cloud based services are supported with Windchill provided the platforms (Operating System, Database) are supported per the Software matrices.
  • Please refer to the topic Virtualization in the Windchill Architecture Overview.
  • You can have a same configuration Cloud System as that of your current physical server configuration if that satisfies your current business performance.
    • Refer to the Customer Support Guide
    • Also you can have glance through the below article to have a look at the different Hardware Sizing Guidelines for Windchill (CS33977).
  • For more PTC Cloud Services, refer to the below:

Top Tags