cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Internet Explorer Script Error in embedded browser for Windchill pages

gchampoux
1-Newbie

Internet Explorer Script Error in embedded browser for Windchill pages

Has anyone ever seen the attached error?

I am deploying Windchill Intralink 9.1 M060 to a few test users. (not production yet)
One user is seeing this error when opening or interacting with every Windchill page. No one else affected.
However, it is only happening within the embedded browser within Pro/E (Wildfire 3 M240).
No problems in a standalone browser (Internect Explorer 7).

Regardless of how the user responds (Yes/No) the page is incomplete/incorrect.
For example: No workspaces are listed even though some were created by the user in the standalone browser.

Gerry

7 REPLIES 7

Wow, maybe we are not crazy...maybe our issues are related.

We are getting ready to go live with Windchill PDMLink 9.1 M050 with CATIA V5 Work Group Manager WWGM. About 5-6 weeks ago (April 2011), 3 users with Internet Explorer 7 and 8 installed started receiving random javascript errors within the embedded browser in Work Group Manager.Seems to be happen more on Windows XP, but we have one Windows 7 64 bit person confirm the behavior. Upon wiping away the computer hard drive and with a fresh install was the only way so far to get rid of the problem. We too, do not have any problems in a standalone browser.

We do not have the problem with Internet Explorer 6.0 users whatsoever. I will be more then happy to attach my javascript errors.

When you fireup the workgroup manager, it throws javascript errors for PTC.com, PDMLink, google.com,ANYTHING using javascript. It is as if the embedded browser suddently lost the ability to render to javascript. I see the workspace appear and flash away to blank white screen and javascript error message.

I have a very critical call open with PTC and I have been sending them debug information.

You may want to do the obvious, set the workspaces to new locations using environment variables. You can turn on javascript logging and send those files to PTC as I have. The environment variable is 'PTC_JS_COMMAND_LOG' with a value set to 'true' You can find the logs in the user's home directory with files named with pattern like cmd_*.log

They had me clear all caches, disable compatibility mode, bypass proxies, etc. and run the work group manager without running CATIA V5. Errors were still there.

We are purposely now trying to get other computers to reproduce the issue by upgrading them to IE 8 and applying all patches.

I am going to send your information to PTC also so they know something might be going on.

We cannotlaunch our production system until this is resolved.

David DeMay

Hi folks

Does anyone have a definite fix for this now? Or the correct place to look?
We are seeing this issue with a couple of workstations (Win XP 32-bit IE8), PTC Tech support are looking at it, but we can't find the source of the issue yet.

Regards
Edwin Muirhead

In Reply to Dave DeMay:

Wow, maybe we are not crazy...maybe our issues are related.

We are getting ready to go live with Windchill PDMLink 9.1 M050 with CATIA V5 Work Group Manager WWGM. About 5-6 weeks ago (April 2011), 3 users with Internet Explorer 7 and 8 installed started receiving random javascript errors within the embedded browser in Work Group Manager.Seems to be happen more on Windows XP, but we have one Windows 7 64 bit person confirm the behavior. Upon wiping away the computer hard drive and with a fresh install was the only way so far to get rid of the problem. We too, do not have any problems in a standalone browser.

We do not have the problem with Internet Explorer 6.0 users whatsoever. I will be more then happy to attach my javascript errors.

When you fireup the workgroup manager, it throws javascript errors for PTC.com, PDMLink, google.com,ANYTHING using javascript. It is as if the embedded browser suddently lost the ability to render to javascript. I see the workspace appear and flash away to blank white screen and javascript error message.

I have a very critical call open with PTC and I have been sending them debug information.

You may want to do the obvious, set the workspaces to new locations using environment variables. You can turn on javascript logging and send those files to PTC as I have. The environment variable is 'PTC_JS_COMMAND_LOG' with a value set to 'true' You can find the logs in the user's home directory with files named with pattern like cmd_*.log

They had me clear all caches, disable compatibility mode, bypass proxies, etc. and run the work group manager without running CATIA V5. Errors were still there.

We are purposely now trying to get other computers to reproduce the issue by upgrading them to IE 8 and applying all patches.

I am going to send your information to PTC also so they know something might be going on.

We cannotlaunch our production system until this is resolved.

David DeMay

Hi folks

PTC Tech support came back with a suggestion that helped solve this issue for us: related to the 'user agent' for Internet explorer. Basically there were a lot of additional strings in various registry settings, that when appended to the user.agent made the total length over 255 characters, somehow this crashed the javascript engine. It's documented in PTC CS40298 - excerpts of registry settings to check below.

Regards
Edwin Muirhead

In each case, remove lengthy entries under 'User Agent' in Pre Platform & Post Platform

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:gchampoux)

Hello Edwin,

A fix for this issue is expected in the next 9.1 release which will not have the character limitation to the useragent string in the embedded browser.

You can check https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS38283for the SPR information (and workaround). This is not an issue in Windchill 10.0.

Regards,

Lori

In Reply to Edwin Muirhead:

Hi folks

PTC Tech support came back with a suggestion that helped solve this issue for us: related to the 'user agent' for Internet explorer. Basically there were a lot of additional strings in various registry settings, that when appended to the user.agent made the total length over 255 characters, somehow this crashed the javascript engine. It's documented in PTC CS40298 - excerpts of registry settings to check below.

Regards
Edwin Muirhead

In each case, remove lengthy entries under 'User Agent' in Pre Platform & Post Platform

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\

jschaaf
4-Participant
(To:gchampoux)

Hello Lori,

I beg to differ, we are still receiving intermittent java script errors with PDMLink 10.0 M020.

We plan to look at the fix Edwin shared below.

John Schaaf

We are facing the attached error even now in a few user's PC.

This phenomenon is in the embedded browser only, not in the standalone browser.

Our Environment: Windchill 11.0 M030& IE11

Attached error screenshot. (Object doesn't support property or method 'addEventListned')

JHall
16-Pearl
(To:ArunPLM)

@ArunPLM 
these things come and go and seem harmless though annoying.  You can set your start up to be blank and get rid of them forever.

James

Top Tags