cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Intralink 10.0: Importing STEP file into Workspace

ScottPearson
3-Visitor

Intralink 10.0: Importing STEP file into Workspace

Fellow 'chillers,

I doubt I am the first to ask yet a quick search of the Forum archives came up empty..., so I shall ask (again?).

I was sent a .stp file from a client. I want to import that.stp file into my Windchill-based Intralink 10.0 workspace.

However, when I go to my Workspace and perform a Tools>Import to Workspace, navigate to the hard drive location of the target .stp file, the .stp file is not listed. The resulting dialog only wants to list .prt, .asm, and other native ProE file types.

And if I type the name of the target .stp file into the dialog box then click Open, then I am given an error within ProE: Invalid Extension.

Sooooo..., the question is, "How do I import a .stp file into my Workspace?"

Is there something in Windchill I need to config or define first? It would seem that .stp would be an extension Windchill would recognize OOTB, but I've been wrong about similar assumptions before.

TIA,

Scott

WF4 / Intralink 10.0

3 REPLIES 3

Hello Scott,

Can you add this option in the config.pro file and then do an import.

allow_import_file_extension iges,igs

Thanks,

Kiran Lakshminarayanan

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:ScottPearson)

You will need to include .stp if you want STEP files as well. For example:

allow_import_file_extension gen,axp,igs,iges,stp,step,pdf,dxf,dwg

Doing this will allow these files to be treated as EPM Documents (CAD documents) instead of WT Documents (regular documents). There are pros and cons to each. FWIW.

Tom U.

Thanks to all that replied.

The universally-suggested config.pro setting worked as advertised:

allow_import_file_extension stp

On to the next bump in the road...

Cheers and thanks again,

Scott

Top Tags