cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Intralink 3.4 w/ Windows 7?

proed
1-Newbie

Intralink 3.4 w/ Windows 7?

Hi folks

Has anyone tried Intralink 3.4 client with Windows 7? I can't see any mention on the PTC.com platform support, but wondered if anyone here has experience? We've had one new laptop with Windows 7, my colleague couldn't get Intralink working properly (java.lang null pointer exception).

For now we're all Windows XP, but I can see things moving up in future, and we'll be using Intralink 3.4 for a wee while yet...

Regards
Edwin Muirhead
CAD Manager, Weatherford

7 REPLIES 7
proed
1-Newbie
(To:proed)

Hi

Thanks to Bryan, who replied with the solution of using compatibility mode for javaw.exe. See this and other replies below.

PTC won't support Intralink 3.x on Windows 7, but it's useful to know you can put Windows in "retro" mode and continue using old software.

Cheers + have a nice weekend!
Edwin

-------------

Hi Edwin,

I’m using Intralink 3.4 M050 on Windows 7. If you’re using M070 it should run fine because it has an updated version of the Java runtime. If you’re like us and running something older like M050 or M062 then it uses JRE 1.4.2 which doesn’t work on Windows 7 without a compatibility adjustment. What I did was select the javaw.exe in the <loadpoint>\i486_nt\jre\bin folder, right-click and select Properties and go to the Compatibility tab and set “Run this program in compatibility mode for:” then select “Windows Vista”. That let’s everything work okay so far. I’m sure that it would be totally unsupported by PTC and you might have issues yourself but I haven’t found any. I believe Windows 7 doesn’t allow anything older than JRE 1.5 to run by default.

Another thing to do to avoid having the display switch to Basic from Aero is to add this setting to the Intralink batch file in the java command.

-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true

For example:

start /B %prodir%\%mc%\jre\bin\javaw -Xmx256m -Xss8m -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -jar %PRO_DIRECTORY%\java\lib\Intralink.jar -l %luknfeel% %intralinkparams% >> "%logfile%"

That’s what we used on Vista as well since JRE 1.4.2 also disables Aero without that setting. Let me know if you want more information.

Bryan

----

Hi,

We recently tested INTRALINK 3.4 m 30 on Windows 7 and is worked fine without any issues.

Sharath

----

I doubt Intralink 3.4 will be supported on Windows 7 as it is being released well after the release of Intralink 3.4 and well after Intralink 3.4 retirement.

Darel

----

In Reply to Edwin Muirhead:

Hi folks

Has anyone tried Intralink 3.4 client with Windows 7? I can't see any mention on the PTC.com platform support, but wondered if anyone here has experience? We've had one new laptop with Windows 7, my colleague couldn't get Intralink working properly (java.lang null pointer exception).

For now we're all Windows XP, but I can see things moving up in future, and we'll be using Intralink 3.4 for a wee while yet...

Regards
Edwin Muirhead
CAD Manager, Weatherford

> I’m using Intralink 3.4 M050 on Windows 7. If you’re using M070 it should run fine
> because it has an updated version of the Java runtime. If you’re like us and running
> something older like M050 or M062 then it uses JRE 1.4.2 which doesn’t work on Windows
> 7 without a compatibility adjustment.

With Intralink Client 3.4 M040 on Windows XP, I have been running both Java 5 and 6
with no problems at all. This has been just for myself as a test with lots of heavily
automated data conversions using Intralink Scripting and trail files.

PTC didn't modify anything in the "i486_nt\jre" folder. As a result, you can drop in
whatever JRE you want. You might want to consider testing this for use with Windows 7.

Marc
--
Marc Mettes
-
Visit My CAD/PDM AutomationBlog
Or, Subscribe to My CAD/PDM Automation Blog by Email

Hi All,

We are testing Intralink functionality in windows 7 operating system. WhileI select the file in workspace and click on modify object, it throw an error message as (java.lang null pointer exception).

I have done all the settings with javaw.exe and in intralink batch file as said in the above thread, but still not working. I am able to checkout the existing files, modify them and checkin back to CS without any issues, but for the newly created files i cannot choose the modify option at all.

Can any one help on this.

Regards,

Shiva

Regards,

Shiva

Hi All,

The soon afterI haveposted the message, I have changed the JAVA to jre-1_5_0_15-windows-i586-p and then changed the javaw.exe properties-compatability option to windows vista thus all worked fine. I am now able to checkin the newly created files.

Thank your for all of you.

bsm166
1-Newbie

You need to edit file \proiclient\bin\proiclient34.bat

from

"set_MC=unset"

to

"set_MC=i486_nt"

It worked on proiclient 3.1

egifford
4-Participant

We're in a similar boat as Edwin. Still on Intralink 3.4for a while before migrating to PDMLink, but currently wanting to start rolling out Windows 7 (Win7 Prof. 64 bit). I've done the items listed here except replacing the version of java in our intralink 3.4 M030 client (I initially tried that and Intralink wouldn't start, so I reverted to as-installed). Everything is working fine with two exceptions.

1) If I exit Pro/E and Intralink,start intralink again, log in,then start Pro/E linked to a workspace, I get prompted to log in to Intralink again. If I enter my user name and password, I get the error message "Pro/INTRALINK connection error Pro/INTRALINK process terminated" and my Pro/E session can't see the Intralink server. My Pro/E session is connected to the workspaceand within Intralink I can browse my workspaces and commonspace as normal.If I exit pro & Ilinkand kill the existing nmsd.exe process, everything works the next time I start Intralink & Pro/E. Logging out of Windows and back in does the trick, too. Essentially the first time I start Intralink & Pro/Ein a windows session, everything works as it should. If I exit Intralink & Proand start it again without logging out of Windows, I encounter this issue. Any ideas?

2) Using the "information" function on an object in Intralink kills the Aero interface. Aero resumes like it should as soon as I exit Intralink. Is there a batchfile that launches the info function that needs to be edited similar to the intralink startup batch file (adding -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true)?

Thanks

Erik Gifford

Pro/E Wildfire 3 M230 64 bit

Intralink 3.2 M030

Dell Precision T3400, 4GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX570, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

In Reply to Miro Bonda:

You need to edit file \proiclient\bin\proiclient34.bat

from

"set_MC=unset"

to

"set_MC=i486_nt"

It worked on proiclient 3.1

egifford
4-Participant

System summary at the bottom should have read Intralink 3.4 M030.

Erik

Top Tags