cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Just lost a bunch of work thanks to Windburn. Awesome!

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Just lost a bunch of work thanks to Windburn. Awesome!

In keeping with the fine tradition of lost productivity I've seen since I was first burdened with using it about 4 years ago, Windburn recently just decided to wipe out the contents of my Workspace, local and network. The Workspace i still there, but is totally empty now. Awesome!

So, my Engineer is ALMOST as angry as I am, and I'm in the process of writing my boss to tell him about it all. Nice. sure he'll be REAL happy to hear that.

I'm hoping to be able to look into the last network backup to see if we can't save things, but we'll see.

Does anyone know a REALLY GOOD Windburn VAR? I do not want to use the same people who got us into this mess. I realize that trying to fix Windburn is like trying to gold-plate a turd, but I'm hoping we can at least chrome-plate it......

Thanks in advance.....

4 REPLIES 4

Never good to hear that a customer has lost data. I can't guess from your description what would cause the workspace to be wiped, but I can say that I have not heard of other calls like this.

I hear your frustration, but I have no advice to offer so not sure my words are any help.

I'm not in the position to off your any VAR recommendations, but I would be interested in addressing the problem if more concrete information could be provided for us to investigate.

I gather you were unable to capture any logs to place a call?

-Celia Lee

Take a look at this CS doc. We had this happen to us.

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS113065

We use TriStar, Datafrond and Fishbowl, but really, no one actually understands how the whole thing works, and most places understand business requirements even less.

You end up having to thuroughly define your business requirements and use one or more consultants to make Windchill do what you want. Don't rely on PTC or 3rd parties to help you define your processes.

We've hacked our way through it, and put an incredible amount of time and a sickening amount of money; we still aren't where we want to be, but we're slowly creeping toward it. At least now we have no data loss.

You'll also find that Winchill requires customization to do the most basic PLM tasks like mass rollup, aging reports, etc.

Good luck.

Yeah, so I've heard. Really frustrating. Especially since PTC already HAD a great, robust, easy-to-use product called Intralink............

Thanks!

Top Tags