cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

MPMLink duplicate with selective propagation

TomM
12-Amethyst

MPMLink duplicate with selective propagation

Hi.

I'm quite new to MPMLink, bear with me please.

1. To my understanding, usually most subassemblies end up being manipulated in mBOM. Taking a long time horizon we can expect that many will have to have their components moved around assembly line/cell therefore it's fine to just duplicate assemblies with propagation, or is it not? 

2. Manufacturing view usually should not be applied to bottom level items (single, inseparable components) unless necessary for some reason, right?

However I can't see how one would work with big assemblies when there's no way to exclude parts from "duplicate with propagation" choice when creating a new branch.

3. What is the right way to introduce MPMLink (right now only mBOM creation) to corporation with thousands of assemblies? To make it simpler:

I wish to create an mBOM out of several assemblies (there's no single eBOM of a final product). Do I need to open each subassembly that 100% sure is going to be manipulated (structure-wise) and drag-drop it later on to the mBOM side (or create a new branch, whatever the route) and leave all the other as they are in "design" view? And leave all the parts in "design" view as well? Sounds like a loooooot of work...

4. Now, I wish to create an mBOM of a sizeable assembly. My company has several different contexts managed by different sites around the world. Among them is a context of common parts (fasteners most notably, but not only). 

I'm not authorized to manipulate this context and I get an error whenever I choose to "duplicate with propagation" any assembly containing fasteners (I can't create manufacturing views of fasteners). Is it correct to disallow creation of "library components'" manufacturing view?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

3 REPLIES 3
HelesicPetr
21-Topaz II
(To:TomM)

Hi @TomM 

It is not easy to answer what is the best way.

Each company has own needs how to create Process Plans with mBOM.

Some company can use mBOM 1:1 with Design or use directly Design parts which I do not recommend. 

The Windchill allows allocating parts from multilevel assembly so you can have one huge ProcessPlan where are several assemblies together. 

First think I advice to learn, know, to be sure how the manufacturing(assembling) is planed and processed. 

Then try to find way how to do so in MPMLink .

There are many ways how to do so.

1.. Depend on company needs. If parts are not manufactured in your company you can use Design view to move them to mBOM.

It is on your own decision.

2. MFG View can be applied to bottom, why not if there is process to manufacture that item. It is also better filtering by MFG view  

3. If transformation is not needed I would recommend to make Manufacturing BOM 1:1 with Design.

In  future your needs can be changed to use transformation or just add some parts to the mBOM without 3D models. 

4. It is in Administrator hands and company restrictions. If you are manufacturing user you should have opportunity to create Manufacturing parts with duplicate and propagate. But there are some backgrounds issues that can not allow you to do so. You need to find solution with your Windchill admin or architect to find best way how to managed MPMLink data. 

PetrH

TomM
12-Amethyst
(To:HelesicPetr)

Hello!

Thanks for answer. 

1. I was talking from the point of view of site doing assembly only. I should've mentioned that. We order all components from subcontractors. 

3. What do you mean by mBOM 1:1 with eBOM? To reuse the design view, right? Without creating manufacturing view for subassemblies that are not manipulated.

Cheers

HelesicPetr
21-Topaz II
(To:TomM)

Hi @TomM 

1. Ok. In my opinion it is a good practice to use Manufacturing view to all BOM components. But it is not necessary. 

The point is that propagate with duplication creates Manufacturing view for all objects in a BOM. 

2. I mean you can crate Manufacturing view from Design without any changes .It is just duplication. The pros is that you dived change process between  3D Designers and Technologists. 

PetrH 

Top Tags