cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Modified object, drawing not updated

pcnelson
1-Newbie

Modified object, drawing not updated

Is there a method, in WC or maybe ModelCheck, to prevent a user from checking out an object, modifying it, and then not updating the related drawing before checking in the object? I know I can set preferences to include drawings at Checkout or Add to Workspace, but I've noticed in Creothat if I open a non-checked out object to modify it, and answer the prompt to check it out, the drawing doesn't fall under those preference settings. And even if the drawing is in the WS, the user can still check in the modified object without updating the drawing. Surely there has to be a setting that detects that the associated drawing wasn't modified when checking in a modified object. With all the great capabilities in PTC products, we don’t leave such an important function up to the human element, do we?

5 REPLIES 5

Personally, I want my users to check in a

stg
4-Participant
4-Participant
(To:pcnelson)

But without Checkout the Drawing will automatically get update. So Why do you want the Drawing to be Checked out:)

pushkarkhanna
13-Aquamarine
(To:stg)

Hi Pete,

You can set collector settings for check out & check in to include drawings,

go to Quick Links>My Settings>Preferences

Then Preference Management page you can change "Operation> CheckIn Operation> Collector>Include related Drawings" to All

& change "Workspace> Add to Workspace and Check Out> Check Out Collector>Include related Drawings" to All

This will force users to Check Out the drawing every time they check out the part & will give error if drawing is not modified with the part during the check in process

Regards

Pushkar

Pushkar

Regarding this preference

"Workspace> Add to Workspace and Check Out> Check Out Collector>Include related Drawings"

When you select the model for checkout, the drawing is collected in the checkout table but is not by default marked for checkout. I personally don't know of way to change that, but would be happy to learn otherwise. When you right click an item in workspace and perform a checkout the check collector seems not to be invoked.

I would say the default collectors for add to workspace, checkout and checkin "help" to ensure latest drawing is stored with latest model but it does not enforce it. If I overlooked something please let me know.

We experience this issue a lot. It is an easy mistake to make, and can lead to drawing errors especially when you have different people working on model and drawing. Users are often confused why the drawing they retrieved in workspace using latest looks different to drawing published using as-stored. We have just implement a custom validator in the new promotion wizard to check for this. When promoting the drawing it checks if the latest drawing linked model version matches the as-stored drawing linked model version.

Regards

Darren

Hi Darren

You are right, when we select the model/assembly for checkout the drawing is collected but not marked for checkout, I was just testing with the parts/assemblies already in the workspace modified with the drawing before starting checkout

If drawing is already not modified in the workspace this setting does not work

Regrads,

Pushkar

Top Tags