cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Modifying the Change Request email text

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Modifying the Change Request email text

One of our options we have put in the CR form is multiple entry field for which group within the company will be impacted by the change.

The first option we are thinking of is to have the email only be sent to those members of the impacted teams. There could be anywhere from 1 to 10 teams and each team may have multiple members.

The second option would be for the email notification text to just include the name(s) of the teams that have been selected. Currently the email goes to all members of the IPT groups and then some call and ask why they received an email for that task. If we had the impacted areas listed on the email form, that would tell some people they can ignore it.

I know part of the email that is sent is dynamically created because we recently added a new CR method (Trivial) and it shows up in the list of options displayed in the email for actions. If someone knows where and the name of the file that is stored that is used for the email that would help in starting on the second option. Thinking some more, is the email text generated from the information in the Workflow itself under instructions?

Windchill 10.0 m040

6 REPLIES 6

Yes, the email text comes from the Instructions field in the workflow activity.

kpritchard
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

In my experience, ignorable emails become noise and eventually Users start to ignore everything coming from Windchill... well at least the non-core Users.

My approach to this would be to look at doing conditional branching of parallel notification robots if/when a particular group of recipients needs to know, and removing the notification for the Assignment itself (or leaving in place for those that need to take action).  Do all the impacted groups need to take action (i.e. complete the assignment), or dot they just need to be informed?  You could do the same type of conditional branching of parallel assignments with different participant pools if action or documented acknowledgment is needed. 

There are some options which we have used in the past here http://www.ptc.com/cs/help/windchill_hc/wc101_hc/index.jspx?id=WCCG_BusLogicCust_WorkflowAdmin_EmailNotif&action=show

Hope it helps

Thank you

Binesh Kumar

Barry Wehmiller

I meant to add more but had to leave the office suddenly.

There are a couple of other ways to get the email notification to only go to the intended recipients. It may depend on where in the path this takes place. If it's on initial creation, then I'm not sure. We're setting our CRs up right now and the intent is to make every downstream group look at every CR and determine if they need to give input or not (rather than let the creator or some other person outside their department make that determination for them). If the intent is for the team selection to take place during an assigned activity, then the two things that come to mind are Transition & Routings or the Set Up Participants tab.

For the Transitions & Routings, the assignment page (the one with the Complete Task button) could have a list of check boxes. The assignee simply checks a box for each group or person that is to get the Change Request. From that assigned activity, one or more action paths are fired off: one for each chosen group. This does make for a cluttered workflow template, but that's really only something the admin sees anyway (IME). Then, when the next assignments are started, with the Activity tab's 'Send Notification' box checked, the new assignee gets whatever message is in the Instructions field.

The Set Up Participants tab keeps the workflow clean while allowing the assignee to choose who gets the next action in the path. The cludgy part in my experience is that the same assigned activity is used for all participants. This means generic instructions like, "Review Change Request and give input". That's okay for early in the flow when it's an overview list like estimates for dates, tools, man-hours, etc. Later in a workflow when you might want to explicitly define the work each participant needs to do is when this method falls off in usefulness.

It sounds like you need to control/set the recipients on the fly. I would say in the workflow before the main tasks that are sending out these emails have an initial task from a change coordinator of some kind with Set Up Participants, that way you can custom tailor who gets each task for every change.

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:BenLoosli)

Hi Ben Loosli‌,

It looks like several people have given some good ideas here. Did any of them get you headed down a path you could work with? Any follow up questions?

Thanks!

Top Tags