cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Numbering and BOM Management Questions

pwilliams-3
11-Garnet

Numbering and BOM Management Questions

Hi Everyone,
I have a few questions based upon the theoretical Windchill 9.1/10.0 configuration of CAD Documents and WTParts with auto-numbering turned on.

Pro/ENGINEER

CAD Document

WTPart

Name

=>

File Name

Common Name

=>

Name

=>

Name

Number (Same as File Name without extension)

=>

Number

Example:
Pro/ENGINEER

CAD Document

WTPart

987654321.prt

=>

987654321.prt

Back left panel

=>

Back left panel

=>

Back left panel

=>

Questions:

1. With auto-numbering turned on as mentioned above I know that instance names will receive the next number in the sequence for the Name. Not all of the instances in the family table will be created at the same time which will create "gaps" or a "spread" of instance Names. How do you then "group" those instances in a table display for ease of selection for other operations like a promote or auto associate? Our initial thought would be to use the Common Name=>Name and sort the table display by Name but that brought about its own problems like:

a. How is that free form text controlled from a standards perspective?

b. If the users search on the Name field they can potentially receive results that they did not intend to find. Are there any solutions for this?

2. Our users are used to seeing the part/assembly and drawing pair names be the same (123456.prt and 123456.drw for example), with auto-numbering the two names will be different. Has anyone implemented a configuration or customization that allows the creation of part/assembly and drawing pairs with the same name? at different object creation times?

3. Consider this scenario: 987654321.prt has a family table of 10 instances and I create a drawing 987654321.drw that only has a view of instance _01 on it but contains a repeat region of all instances. When I associate a WTPart to instance _01 I of course see the drawing 987654321.drw as either a calculated or content link. When I associate a WTPart to instance _02 I do not see a drawing because instance _02 was not detailed on the drawing. Do you expect to see the drawing linked to the WTPart of the instance in this situation?

Thanks in Advance,

Patrick Williams | Engineering Systems | o: 616.698.3766 | c: 616.947.2110
[cid:image002.jpg@01CC721A.4B092B30]

2 REPLIES 2

Hi Patrick

I was about to post the same questions about naming and numbering you have just posted: we're testing migrated Intralink data in a PDMLink 9.1 server. A small group is currently experimenting with the data, and the question of numbering has come up a few times. People are particularly keen to see a related number in CAD + WTPart.

We'd be interested in hearing any responses from people who have already implemented this in production : and what solutions they have (if any) to keeping numbers manageable...

Also, I noticed that having an assembly in Pro/E / PDMLink and clicking File - Save a copy allows you to type any names for newly-created parts, any way to auto-number these?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards
Edwin Muirhead, CAD Manager, Weatherford

In Reply to Patrick Williams:

Hi Everyone,
I have a few questions based upon the theoretical Windchill 9.1/10.0 configuration of CAD Documents and WTParts with auto-numbering turned on.

Pro/ENGINEER

CAD Document

WTPart

Name

=>

File Name

Common Name

=>

Name

=>

Name

Number (Same as File Name without extension)

=>

Number

Example:
Pro/ENGINEER

CAD Document

WTPart

987654321.prt

=>

987654321.prt

Back left panel

=>

Back left panel

=>

Back left panel

=>

Questions:

1. With auto-numbering turned on as mentioned above I know that instance names will receive the next number in the sequence for the Name. Not all of the instances in the family table will be created at the same time which will create "gaps" or a "spread" of instance Names. How do you then "group" those instances in a table display for ease of selection for other operations like a promote or auto associate? Our initial thought would be to use the Common Name=>Name and sort the table display by Name but that brought about its own problems like:

a. How is that free form text controlled from a standards perspective?

b. If the users search on the Name field they can potentially receive results that they did not intend to find. Are there any solutions for this?

2. Our users are used to seeing the part/assembly and drawing pair names be the same (123456.prt and 123456.drw for example), with auto-numbering the two names will be different. Has anyone implemented a configuration or customization that allows the creation of part/assembly and drawing pairs with the same name? at different object creation times?

3. Consider this scenario: 987654321.prt has a family table of 10 instances and I create a drawing 987654321.drw that only has a view of instance _01 on it but contains a repeat region of all instances. When I associate a WTPart to instance _01 I of course see the drawing 987654321.drw as either a calculated or content link. When I associate a WTPart to instance _02 I do not see a drawing because instance _02 was not detailed on the drawing. Do you expect to see the drawing linked to the WTPart of the instance in this situation?

Thanks in Advance,

[cid:image002.jpg@01CC721A.4B092B30]

Ed,
I know that the CAD and WTPart can be NUMBERed the same but part of my question is how do you get the name of instances to be sequential? With auto-numbering that cannot be achieved. Imagine if on day 1 a user created 10 instances. Ok no problem (other than the base NUMBER is not the same) you would get 1000 through 1090. Then on day 30 the user wanted to add another instance. The new instance name would be ####. Some number further down in the auto-numbering sequence. Our users currently don't work like this. They want all of their instances to share the same base number. Additionally the drawing for the instances should share the same base name. How is that accomplished???

[cid:image001.jpg@01CC72CA.5BDDBB00]
Top Tags