cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Out of the box functionality in PLM

ptc-6026219
1-Newbie

Out of the box functionality in PLM

Hi guys,

I heard the term 'out-of-the-box functionality in PLM'.What does this term refers to?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Rajeshkumar

5 REPLIES 5

OOTB

just mean a standard function of the software.

with no need to customization

regards

Thanks for your response.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:ptc-6026219)

"Customization" can be a little nebulous. I tend to think of it as adding additional functionality to the software, not achievable through any amount of configuration. Think custom software.

'Out of the box' has the idea that the software is designed to do something, but you may need to configure it to get it to do it.

With the amount of things you can configure and change in Windchill, even some supported configurations start to feel like customization.

Thanks for your response.

So it is like the application be configured in any way according to the users wish. Am i correct?

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:ptc-6026219)

Yes. Think of buying something that comes in a box. If you can open the box, turn it on, and get it to do what you want, then that functionality is "out of the box". If instead you have to take it apart, rebuild some part of it, and then reassemble it to get it to do what you want, that is NOT "out of the box", but instead customized.

Top Tags