cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

PDMLink 9.1 cannot Promote multiple objects in various Folders on a Locate/Search

kjohns101
1-Newbie

PDMLink 9.1 cannot Promote multiple objects in various Folders on a Locate/Search

As in Intralink 3X, Promote could be done to multiple objects on a Locate/Search or in Commonspace, PTC states that multiple Promotes can only happen if you know what Folder they exist and only one folder at a time.
5 REPLIES 5

Promote can be done to multiple objects:

- By Collecting from the initially selected object

- By selecting multiple from search results if search is done using "Search Within" a Product or Library

- By selecting multiple from a product structure

Fishbowl Solutions recently began offering a Windchill enhancement that allows you to seed a promotion form with the contents of a baseline.

The baseline collector allows you to easily add and remove unrelated objects. Baselines can also be createdautomatically as the result of acheckin.

This tool streamlines the process of creating a promotion with unrelated objects,the followinglink provides more information about this product offering:

<u>http://www.fishbowlsolutions.com/PTCSolutions/FishbowlPTCAutomationandIntegrationSolutions/SolutionsForPDMLink/BaselinePromote/BaselinePromote</u>?WT.mc_id=L_MCAD_Software_raj

In Reply to Mike Lockwood:

Promote can be done to multiple objects:

- By Collecting from the initially selected object

- By selecting multiple from search results if search is done using "Search Within" a Product or Library

- By selecting multiple from a product structure

What I miss is the briefcase we had in 3.x. That was so convenient for so many things.

David Haigh
Phone: 925-424-3931
Fax: 925-423-7496
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
7000 East Ave, L-362
Livermore, CA 94550

Hello All,

Many of the things mention as very much missed...

What everyone needs to do is file Enhancement Requests (Individually) to close up these limitations in Windchill.

The Briefcase for example was convenient for Add to Workspace but really would be Useful to Make single Promotion Tasks. So file that enhancement request to turn the "Clipboard" into more a Briefcase by having a More Complete selection of Menus/Actions such as Promote.

The "To Hold" was great. Why waste time Updating (er... Selecting in Workspace unintentionally modified files then selecting Add to Workspace (configuration None) and Download over the top) when "Locking" in a Workspace could be programmed to not attempt to Check In anything Locked and have the ability to Workspace Lock modified files. OR PTC could make Update work like Intralink 3.X and overwrite modified content by default. (yes config.pro option)

The Commonspace "Lock" functionality used... I'd guess I'd disagree with everyone.... Since you can simple make a Lifecycle State called "Locked" with only Read/Download Rights but I understand the intent... Sometimes a Released File should not be revised without permission and it's nice to be able to Lock an individual file... (Current Equivalent the Admin Account must Check Out)... Which if explained could easy be programmed.

We just need to think how the current Windchill Environment could be Tweaked... to get our Use-Case Workflow requirements implemented.... And Send them in!

Brian Sullivan

I like that idea, however that means the user is creating another object -a baseline - for what amounts to a state change for several objects. Not much baggage - all depends on the trade off I assume, especially when you consider all the use cases for baselines. The more use cases, the more baselines, the more confusion that may arise when users have to use them.

In the case where Set State is an option and the objects are CAD based - a workspace can be used to collect multiple unrelated objects and Set State can be used.
Top Tags