cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

PDMLink's duplicate

jdunham
1-Newbie

PDMLink's duplicate

Maybe someone has asked this before but I couldn't find it. I-link had a "duplicate" function that I used ALL THE TIME. I don't see it in PDMLink. Am I missing it? Is there another way if it is gone??

Thanks,

John

4 REPLIES 4
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:jdunham)

On 11/08/11 13:33, John Dunham wrote:
>
> Maybe someone has asked this before but I couldn't find it. I-link had a "duplicate" function that I used ALL THE TIME. I don't see it in PDMLink. Am I missing it? Is there another way if it is
> gone??
>

From the Workspace: "File | Save As"
From the Commonspace actions menu: "Save As"
From a Search results: "File | Save As"
From Pro/Engineer: "File | Save a Copy"
Probably other spots somewhere.

> Thanks,
>
> John
>
>
> -----End Original Message-----

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Randy Jones
Systems Administrator
Great Plains Mfg., Inc.
1525 E North St
PO Box 5060
Salina, KS USA 67401
email: -
Phone: 785-823-3276
Fax: 785-667-2695
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks everyone. Tell me if I'm wrong but "Save As" works at the top assembly but if I have a user that does a "save as" at the part level, it is taken out of the assembly and can not be swapped back in like what duplicate did... right?

This is where the difference comes in depending on "where" you do the Save As...

A Commonspace Save As... creates a new copy in the commonspace. End of story.
But a Workspace Save As... allow you to update the parent assemblies, as you did in ILink, without opening the assemblies individually.
amansfield
6-Contributor
(To:jdunham)

Another thing to add is that if the user wants to do a secondary "Save As" on components from a duplicated assembly that has not been checked in yet, the assembly must be uploaded first. This screwed us up for quite a while before we figured it out.

Once uploaded Windchillknows it exists and is a parent and allows you to do an "update parent assembly" operation. We have a group that does a lot of customization and depend on this capability so they can manage their work in steps.

Top Tags