cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

PDMlink

ptc-2259020
1-Newbie

PDMlink

In PDMlink, can a user login into a different computer?Like a Admin.

I have a admin that is telling me all library parts have to be created by a library group and put into a library folder. Why can't I just create the parts check them in and have the Admin move the files?

5 REPLIES 5
dhermosillo
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-2259020)

If all of the Products and Libraries in your PDMLink installation are in the same site, then anything can be checked in to any folder and any user can move the files around at will.

This depends of course on the permissions applied to the Products, Libraries and Groups.

If you can check objects into the Library though, then you (or the admin) likely have permission to move an object from another Poduct where you have permission to the library in question.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

There are two issues at play here - the user account with permissions to the library and the user account that your local cache is tied to. I'm guessing that most people have Creo configured to have the local cache created based on local computer login name. Logging into Creo and the associated embedded browser with a different username than what the local cache is expecting can cause cache corruption. If your local cache is setup this way, then it's best to log onto both the local computer and Creo as the library user.

The alternative (as you mentioned) is to either have the admin manually move the library files after you check in somewhere else or temporairly add your account to the library creators group (or whatever it's named) long enough for you to be able to check in the files on your own. Both of these are very easy for an administrator to do. Around here I normally add someone to the creators group long enough to get their data checked in and then remove their permissions.

I imagine if you really wanted to you could create a workflow where someone could check new library parts into a central location and then as part of the approval process have the workflow automatically move them to their final resting place upon approval.

Is there any reason at all that these library parts couldn't be moved after I checked them in??

I need to make 100% sure before I bring this up. thanks

TomU
23-Emerald IV

The only thing I can think of is if the object initialization rules are different for objects with the library context. If library objects use a different life cycle template (or something like that), then it could. Around here the template is the same regardless of context, so no, there is no reason they can't be moved after check-in (at least here).

huggre
1-Newbie
(To:TomU)

Thats true....

However, the admin may re-assign the the correct lifecycle during the moving process.

In our company we have a special product context where all users may create common parts.

The admin then monitors this context and move parts to the library as they are cheked and validated.

Top Tags