cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

PTC Solution Installer Question

Robert-Altman
7-Bedrock

PTC Solution Installer Question

Installing Windchill 10.1 and the what is defaulting as the "Host Name"
appears different than what I seem to remember at another company that I
worked at.

The .local seems odd, should it be .com? (is this because of how IT
configured a test server for me?)

I also don't remember the bottom entry being "localhost"?

If I use "pre-dev01.arthrex.local" everything installs and I'm able to
login to the Windchill interface but I'm not able to access Windchill
from another system on the network (I'm able to ping it and access
shared folders so it not a connectivity issue)

1 REPLY 1

Robert,

There are three things you are asking about.

1. You can't connect to http//pre-dev01.arthrex.local:80/Windchill from another machine. First, drop the ':80' because that is the default port and it is redundant in the URL.If you used another port like 8080 then you need to include the non-default port (e.g. ':8080'). Next, testthe port with 'http//pre-dev01.arthrex.local'. If it responds with "It Works!" then it is a Windchill issue. If it fails to connect then check your firewall on the server to ensure it is off or that port 80 is enabled. Ping and browse are possible even if port 80 is blocked. It could also be a security policy preventing access to local network URLs but it is most likely port 80 being blocked by the firewall.

2. The domain for a company can be anything though most I have seen are either '.com' for Internet (external to the company)addressesor '.local' for Intranet (internal to the company) addresses. If you are going to grant public access to you Windchill server then it should be 'pre-dev01.arthrex.com'. If it is an internal use implementation then 'pre-dev01.arthrex.local' is fine.

3. There is one entry in the installer related to Tomcat that uses 'localhost'. This is acceptable/preferred unless you are performing a clustered Windchill implementation.

Generally I have IT departments alias Windchill servers to simplify the URLs. I encounter a lot of alphabet soup server names (e.g. NEOUCKT83Z.company.com). The intelligent name makes sense to IT but it is a challenge for users to remember. So I ask for an alias like 'pdmlink.company.com' or 'pdmlink-test.company.com'. I also add the server name and alias name to the hosts file of the server so when the DNS server blinks, Windchill doesn't crash.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Matt Meadows

Solutions Architect
VIRSO Inc
O: 618 937 8115
C: 314 749 8377
E: mmeadows@virsoinc.com

Top Tags