cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Part/drawing Number Auto Generation Application

MarcHendrickson
1-Newbie

Part/drawing Number Auto Generation Application

At our company we have used, in the past, an Excel spreadsheet to log and track drawing numbers. We have looked at PDM's auto number generation but are reluctant to shift to this for many reasons.

Has anyone run across a simple to use auto number generation tool that supplies the next number and asks you for a few specific details about what you are pulling the pnumber for, e.g. Description, when # pulled, who requested #, what project the # will be used for, etc.... Obviously it would be nice to search to verify the description does not match something already with a number but I would be happy with a simple sequential non-inteligent numbering tool.

Our current issues with Excel are obvious, users need read write access and then they resort the columns and save it and the next individual pulls a number or the next 300 people pull a # and then someone mentions the order is messed up.

Any direction would be appriciated. I just don't want to write an application if one exists already.

2 REPLIES 2

Hi Marc,

Personnaly I don't understand why you don't want to use the auto-number feature in PDMLink.

I've tried this and it works fine.

Marc lets take this off line, please send me an email with your e-mail address to mhendrickson@cirrusdesign.com. I will discuss this and the other discussion on Options and variants.

Top Tags