cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Positioning Assembly After Component Modification

BrianToussaint
19-Tanzanite

Positioning Assembly After Component Modification

I'm testing positioning assemblies and do not know if I came across a bug or functionality.

I have an assembly set to a Positioning Assembly.  I modify the length of one of the components.  When I go to the viewable for the assembly it shows the component with the new length which is what I expect.  However, it does not move any components that are assembled to that component.  Is this normal functionality or is this a bug?  The component that is not moving is constrained to the component that changed size.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BrianToussaint)

This is exactly the expected behavior of a positioning assembly.  Each component is loaded based on it's original position in the assembly at the time the assembly was saved.  If an object in the assembly changed locations, then the assembly will need to be republished (with "latest" config spec.)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomU
23-Emerald IV

This is exactly the expected behavior of a positioning assembly.  Each component is loaded based on it's original position in the assembly at the time the assembly was saved.  If an object in the assembly changed locations, then the assembly will need to be republished (with "latest" config spec.)

BrianToussaint
19-Tanzanite
(To:TomU)

So in reality, a combination of positioning assemblies along with republishing out of date viewables is the way to go for getting updated information to the shop floor.  I had read that republishing out of date viewables will mess with drawings.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Some companies will publish assemblies as "latest" but only publish drawings "as stored".  This means a drawing will not change, even if something in the assembly changes until someone actually opens that drawing, saves it, and checks it back in.

Top Tags