cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

ProjectLink for external designers, check in or not, publish or not

HJ1
15-Moonstone
15-Moonstone

ProjectLink for external designers, check in or not, publish or not

Hi all,

I'm curious what kind of procedures others have implemented when utilising ProjectLink for sharing data for contractor / external engineering to work on.

We've instructed them to check in everything at the end of the day to make sure the latest is always available in the common space of the Project as we've understood that even for admin it is difficult to Access workspaces' content, but this of course creates a lot of iterations & data files. We've disabled publish for CAD model and drawings in Project and do this only manually when needed (however considering to turn on again the automatic for the drawings. When "Send to PDM" is done this publish is usually enough, despite the fact that there's issues with it not triggering correctly... PTC case opened.)

How would you go about it?

4 REPLIES 4

We also encourage all users (internal or external) to check in all of their work at the end of the day.  If this is not possible because the update is too incomplete, we suggest to "Save and Upload" the files so the data is at least backed up during our daily backup of the master vault.

Regarding the publishing, I publish every iteration checked in regardless of context.  However we have implemented a publish filter to prioritize drawings in the high priority queue and models in the low priority queue.  A user can also manually publish a document as needed and it is assigned to the medium priority queue.  We implemented this priority system since most of our users are Creo users and the Creo View files are not as widely used.  We prioritized the drawings since we like to have a PDF of the drawing readily available.

I hope this helps.

Save & Upload can be set as the default option for save so your users don't have to think about it. I have had my Windchill systems at 3 companies set this way since 2005 with Windchill 7. It has saved us a few times over the years.

HJ1
15-Moonstone
15-Moonstone
(To:BenLoosli)

Thank you both for the input!

How do you set the default for "Save and Upload"..? That might be a good idea.

Edit: Ok, wgmclient.ini and "save.upload", is that it?

DanHarlan1
4-Participant
(To:HJ1)

Just be aware of what this (save & upload as default) does to your bandwidth, especially for remote users.

Top Tags