cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

QB/Cognos Suggestions Needed: "Blank" a Default Date?

MichaelMarshall
1-Newbie

QB/Cognos Suggestions Needed: "Blank" a Default Date?

The short version is we have a WC Document that is created from a template by the user (the "New Document from Template" function).

There are several date fields in the Attributes. WhatI found is that when a date is employed in a template, I as the admin *must* put in a date, or it won't let me save the template. The user, while creating the New Document from Template, may wipe out the date (which gives is a null value...that action doesn't leave it with a default date). However, as the admin, I can't get away with that.

So, I set up the template with deafult values of 2011-01-01 (omitting the timestamp portion..the user can't enter the timestamp portion, and the system assumes midnight at local timezone).

So of course, when the user is entering info, if they don't know a date, they skip over it. So my reports are littered with this default date. I found an easy way in Cognos using a Conditional Display such that if the string = '2011-01-01', it doesn't show the date in the cell. The rest of the info for that row shows appropriately, it just doesn't show that default date.

But that's not what I really want...I really want that '2011-01-01' to come across as nothing, as if the user blanked the date out. This would be beneficial for sorting and datemath reasons.

But that's where I'm stuck...I cannot figure out a way in Query Builder to make it pass a blank (or null value) if the date is '2011-01-01', or in Cognos using the SQL to achieve a similar effect.

I'm sure there's an easy way I'm just not familiar with. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Michael

1 REPLY 1

May have to filter out these in Excel rather than Query Builder and/or Cognos (which pretty much defeats the purpose of reporting within Windchill).

Could maybe use String data type instead of Date data type - this would likely allow for blank but still could be manipulated in the reporting.
Top Tags