cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Re-number revision on creo

PThapar
5-Regular Member

Re-number revision on creo

Hi,

I have a drawing on windchill/creo that I am revising. The current state is at "created" and rev "09". I made my revisions to the drawing but need to change the revision level to "10" instead of "09" before I release this revision. Is there a way to do this other than deleting the revision that I created and creating a brand new revision at "10" and doing my updates all over again? 

Thanks!
Paarth

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PThapar
5-Regular Member
(To:PThapar)

To close this thread - 

I discussed this issue with the admins of my organization and the business rules require me to first release my rev 09 drawing before making a new rev 10 or changing the existing rev to 10. That is the process I followed, but it can be different according to the amount of privileges a user has, along with business rules of the org. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

You might need to explain your current lifecycle state model, revision scheme and configuration. Everyone is different.  If I read this right, 09 was the latest revision at the "created" state (not released?). You should always revise first then make the changes. To avoid you losing work, you can have the object open in session in Creo. Revise the drawing to 10 and it might ask if you want to replace in session. SAY NO to that and right after that message, save the drawing. it will check out the drawing and save your modifications down to revision 10 in your workspace. You should then be allowed to check it in. 

As a safety net, you should not allow changes to be made to a previous version. For example, when items are in their final state in my system (Released), users lose modify rights. And they can only revise once it is released. This forces new revisions to be created first before modifications can be made.

Hari_Vara
13-Aquamarine
(To:avillanueva)

Hi,

On top of what Villanueva explained, I think if there is an "Cancelled" state in your Lifecycle definitions, will be useful, wherein it means that Rev 09 is never "Released" for use., it was rather cancelled. Think of transitioning that "Created" Rev 9 to cancelled.

Then allowing it to be  "Revise"d to Rev 10, will make it as a better process, 

Its all your Windchill implementation and Uncaptured Business Requirements that plays here.

SOPs are always a moving target in an evolving PLM system!

Cheers

Hari

PThapar
5-Regular Member
(To:Hari_Vara)

Hey Hari,

Thanks for your response! There is a cancelled state in my PLM so that would be an option, although I don't want to use it provided that there is a rev 09 in a different PLM (see my response to Villanueva) and I feel that it would be confusing if the revision showed up as cancelled. If nothing else work, then this might be the route to go if my stakeholders agree to it. 

Thanks!

PThapar
5-Regular Member
(To:avillanueva)

Hi!

Thanks for getting back to me, and sorry for the confusion. Here is the whole scenario: 

There is a drawing at rev 08 that is at PRODUCTION state. 

I created a revision of the drawing to rev 09, and made my changes. 

Before releasing it, there is a business need for this drawing to go to be at rev 10 (we're dealing with migration issues from another PLM to Windchill, and there was a rev 09 created at some point in the other system that didn't get migrated). 

I tried what you recommended above, and when I revise my drawing again, I don't have the permissions. The error is "Current user has no permissions to revise this object." 

So my question really is, is there a way for me to change the rev in my system to 10 without:

- first releasing my rev 09, and then creating a new revision at 10,

- just deleting my work and my rev 09 revision, and making a fresh revision jump from 08 to 10? 

Thank you!

Hari_Vara
13-Aquamarine

Hi,

There is a "Set Revision" option while creating a new CAD document from workspace, so you can use your object in session, create that New CAD doument and set Rev to 10. Then save the session file. Only problem you will encounter is that system will not allow you to create new cad document with same identity(I assume that Rev 1 to 8 alrrady exists in your PLM). There may be a work around.
Just quick thoughts.. we will see what other experts say.
Cheers
Hari
GrahamV
7-Bedrock

There is a command line utility to achieve this, ChangeRevisionLabelUtility.

PThapar
5-Regular Member

To close this thread - 

I discussed this issue with the admins of my organization and the business rules require me to first release my rev 09 drawing before making a new rev 10 or changing the existing rev to 10. That is the process I followed, but it can be different according to the amount of privileges a user has, along with business rules of the org. 

Top Tags