cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Remove extension from the number when checked-in

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Remove extension from the number when checked-in

Is there a setting that will automatically remove the file extension portion of the Number field when the file is checked-in?

Currently the Number field is populated with the filename. The WTpart Number field is the number without the extension, which I would laso like for the EPMdocument type.

Windchill 10.0 m040

Creo 2.0 m100

3 REPLIES 3
kpritchard
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

Not sure about 10.0 but I know at 10.1 you can do this... I want to say it's in Preferences under Auto-Associate.  A word of caution though... if you do not have different numbering for Documents you may run into uniqueness issues.  If you have Drawing Number = Model (prt/asm) Number then the extension is what makes the Number unique.  You may be able to deal with this by having different sub-types for Drawings and Models (I have no tested this)

The Preference (Site or Org) is under

Operation; Upload Operation, Upload, Upload Drop Number File Extension

and as it says, it will happen during the upload.

If you work with WTParts there is also a Preference for dropping the file Extension from the number.

But be aware of the post from Keir above: This is only a way to go, if you use different Filename for CAD Documents (drw, prt, asm). Otherwise you will run in an unique error for the number during upload.

I'm kinda reapting what's said above by pointing to the following, but for reference:

CS51457: https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS51457&lang=en&source=snippet

Upload Drop Number File Extension = yes

It does indeed create uniqueness issues if the drw and asm/prt have the same file name, though I don't see that mentioned in the PTC doc (at quick glance).

So it depends on your file naming strategy if this will work or not, again, as said above by Keir and Thomas.

But this may help you if you have (or make) the appropriate parameter in CAD:

Operation ▶ Upload Operation ▶ Upload ▶ Numbering Parameter

_I have not tried this_

For further reference:

For WTparts, you can opt to use a CAD parameter for the number using:

Auto Associate Numbering Parameter     <string>

Often, companies have such a parameter already available in the CAD data which can be utilized.

I understand in your case, it would seem you might know al that already and it doesn't help you (You just want to drop the extension from the CAD EPMdocument), but it may be helpful to other readers.

Check out "Using PTC Creo Parametric™ with PTC Windchill®PTC Windchill " for an overview off all these possibilities.

http://support.ptc.com/WCMS/files/157383/en/ProEWCInteg.pdf

Top Tags