cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Rename a CADfile in common space

ptc-3224129
1-Newbie

Rename a CADfile in common space

Hi,

I'm trying to rename a drawing in common space but getting failed action;

“ may not have its identity changed. The identity of this item may only be changed if it is not checked out and you have

Modify Identity permission for all versions.”

This drawing is checked-in, not checked-out by any user, deleted from workspace and release level is fine too.

Although, I'm able to rename generic and its instances and other drawing/files in the same folder, but for some reason won't let me rename this drawing, I guess there is something with this drawing which won't allow me to rename it.

Any help please.

4 REPLIES 4

Rename acts on the master, so it requires Modify Identity permission not just for the latest Version, but also for all history. If the latest is for example B.2 In Work, but A.3 Released exists, the user needs permission for Released.

It worked, thanks alot Mike.

So Mike, what do you do if you want your users to rename "In work" objects, but not "Released" objects?

Buddy

Two things:

1. We give all users Rename permission (Modify Identity) at the first state (e.g. In Work). This allows them to change "Bracket, Top" to "623-2234-005" at any time during conceptual development until they have promoted to the next state. Following this, all changes need to be at higher Revisions.

2. We give a class of superusers we call Design Leads the same permission at these other states. They have responsibility to follow up on any consequences of renaming / renumbering.

note: We use a two-phase lifecycle (Numbered Revisions for development, Letter Revisions for production). The first two above apply for Numbered Rev's and associated states. Renaming Released items is reserved for Org admin, and has to be done in coordination with ERP data entries.

Top Tags