cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Replace user in team

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Replace user in team

Our engineering manager got moved to an advanced R&D project, so a new manager was appointed. The manager had sign-off rights in the team for promotion requests.

1) Add the new manager to the team and remove the old manager. This should preserver the old manager's name on any promotion requests he may have approved while new promotion requests will be assigned to the new manager, Running processes will still be assigned to the old manager.

2) Replace the old manager with the new manager, using the replace icon. This should update any running workflows to the new manager, leaving the old manager on any that he had approved and assign all new requests to the new manager.

3) Put the managers into a group, they are named to the team currently, and add/delete the new/old manager in the group. This should be identical to #1 in terms of functionality, but the changes is done from the Participant's group menu instead of the team menu.

What is the best method for adding the new manager and removing the old one?

Is there an advantage to one method over another?

Anything missing in my assumed logic of how this should work?

Ben

Windchill 10.0 m040

1 REPLY 1

Oooh! I didn't even know #2 would do that, replacing them in the team snapshot copies of the in-progress workflows! I thought it just replaced them in all current roles they're in for the context team.

However, just did some testing and that could be risky; if you do that replacement and that manager was in other roles on other active workflow objects in the context, not just Promotion Requests, it replaces them everywhere, in every role, within that context. If the new manager is intended to be a complete context-wide replacement for the old one, that should be fine. If not...you could run into problems, and in that situation I would say #1 is the better bet and let the old manager reassign no-longer-relevant stuff to the new one as required.

Top Tags