cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Rollback Error while Automatic creation of Promotion Request Approval Task.

Vinay_S
15-Moonstone

Rollback Error while Automatic creation of Promotion Request Approval Task.

Hi All,

I am trying to launch promotion request approval task from promotion request review task. While doing this I am getting the following error, has anyone solved it? If anyone could provide a solution it would be of great help.

Error message:

A nested transaction cannot be started when a rollback is in progress. The following is the rollback stacktrace. ROLLBACK: java.lang.Thread.getStackTrace(Thread.java:1556) ROLLBACK: wt.pom.TransactionManager.rollbackTransaction(TransactionManager.java:750) ROLLBACK: wt.pom.BasicTransactionMonitor.rollbackTransaction(BasicTransactionMonitor.java:77) ROLLBACK: wt.pom.PersistentObjectManager.rollbackTransaction(PersistentObjectManager.java:427) ROLLBACK: wt.pom.Transaction.rollback(Transaction.java:746) ROLLBACK: wt.maturity.AbstractTransitionHandler.transitionTargets(AbstractTransitionHandler.java:111) ROLLBACK: wt.maturity.TransitionHandlerFactory.transitionTargets(TransitionHandlerFactory.java:81) ROLLBACK: wt.maturity.StandardMaturityService.lockTargets(StandardMaturityService.java:1062) ROLLBACK: wt.workflow.expr.WfExpression9141637.executemethod_1(WfExpression9141637.java:54) ROLLBACK: sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ROLLBACK: sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ROLLBACK: sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ROLLBACK: java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ROLLBACK: wt.workflow.definer.WfExpression.invokeByReflection(WfExpression.java:1408) ROLLBACK: wt.workflow.definer.WfExpression.executeRouter(WfExpression.java:1565) ROLLBACK: wt.workflow.definer.WfExpression.execute(WfExpression.java:465) ROLLBACK: wt.workflow.engine.WfConnector.evaluateRouterExpression(WfConnector.java:641) ROLLBACK: wt.workflow.engine.WfConnector.fire(WfConnector.java:374) ROLLBACK: wt.workflow.engine.WfConnector.fireInput(WfConnector.java:338) ROLLBACK: wt.workflow.engine.ConnectorConnectorLink.receiveEvent(ConnectorConnectorLink.java:150) ROLLBACK: wt.workflow.engine.StandardWfEngineService.propagateEvent(StandardWfEngineService.java:1120) ROLLBACK: sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ROLLBACK: sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ROLLBACK: sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ROLLBACK: java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ROLLBACK: wt.queue.QueueEntry.execute(QueueEntry.java:231) ROLLBACK: wt.queue.QueueRunnable.run(QueueRunnable.java:159) ROLLBACK: java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142) ROLLBACK: java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617) ROLLBACK: java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Time:

2018-06-14 13:03:30 IST

Parent Process:

Process Overview is not Available

Vinay S.
CADOpt Technologies Private Limited
Bengaluru.
13 REPLIES 13
Vincent-Kulak
13-Aquamarine
(To:Vinay_S)

I have done this 'n' number of times but ended up getting same error every time. My review promotion request task is getting created, I have added notification robot and checkpoints to identify the process path. It is executing every process in review task and when the review is approved it is going to process robot and there it is getting stuck with mentioned error.

Vinay S.
Bengaluru.
Vincent-Kulak
13-Aquamarine

What is your windchill version and environment ?

I am using Windchill PDMLink 11.0 M030. I am on Windows server 2012 R2. In one of the support guide they had suggested to install CPS09 to overcome but I am not able to install CPS09 where in Update existing installation option itself is grayed out. 

Vinay S.
Bengaluru.
STEVEG
21-Topaz I

@Vinay_S 

What was the cause of this?  We got this last night for the first time.

Vinay,

Is there more logging info leading up to this error in the methodserver, or maybe the backgroundmethod server log?  That might be helpful.  What version of Windchill?  You may need to open a Support case for this.

Do you have a conditional node in the workflow?

I wonder if you could be seeing something like this:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS165769

I've also heard of similar issues, if the rollback involves checked-out objects, that need to be checked-in first, but your error stack makes me think it's more related to the article I pointed to...maybe.  That's why I ask if there is more logging info before the error stack.

That original post is from June 2018 so we may not get a response.

MichaelChatel
20-Turquoise
(To:STEVEG)

Ahh yes, I see that now. My eyes read June, and didn't see the 2018 vs 2019.  🙂

I guess the same question to you then STEVEG, if you have the logging info leading up to a similar error stack, if you also got a similar issue like this recently then.

Similar:

A commit cannot be done when a rollback is in progress. The following is the rollback stacktrace.
ROLLBACK: java.lang.Thread.getStackTrace(Thread.java:1559)
ROLLBACK: wt.pom.TransactionManager.rollbackTransaction(TransactionManager.java:750)
ROLLBACK: wt.pom.BasicTransactionMonitor.rollbackTransaction(BasicTransactionMonitor.java:77)
ROLLBACK: wt.pom.PersistentObjectManager.rollbackTransaction(PersistentObjectManager.java:427)
ROLLBACK: wt.pom.Transaction.rollback(Transaction.java:746)
ROLLBACK: wt.queue.StandardQueueService.createQueue(StandardQueueService.java:1021)
ROLLBACK: wt.queue.StandardQueueService.createStopWaitQueue(StandardQueueService.java:865)
ROLLBACK: com.ptc.wvs.server.publish.PublishQueueHelper.createQueue(PublishQueueHelper.java:519)
ROLLBACK: com.ptc.wvs.server.publish.PublishQueueHelper.createMultiQueue(PublishQueueHelper.java:474)
(There was more of this)

The ROLLBACK has been going since at least 9 pm last night central time.  Our partner company has a call open with PTC and are now running through validations and test.  They plan to restart windchill in about 5 minutes.  Then we will see what happens.

PTC suggested several queue config setting changes and they have been implemented but we were waiting for the ROLLBACK to complete but it never did.

MichaelChatel
20-Turquoise

Ahh okay.  That's probably best, to have the case opened with Support then.  I wonder if it was related to one of those scenarios, but odd, that it was taking so long?

This happened when trying to check a file in or even just setting the state of a file.  Even for org admin.

Vinay_S
15-Moonstone

Hi @STEVEG and @MichaelChatel,

My issue was I was trying to alter promotion review workflow and add approve state in it and it was going no where after review task completed hence I was receiving that error.

In your case, may be check with the target state where you are pointing your object to move. May be your life cycle state has been altered. Try clearing workflow cache and tomcat instances. Restart Windchill it might work fine.

Vinay S.
Bengaluru.
STEVEG
21-Topaz I

With the help of PTC and our partner company they were able to get it working again.  I don't know what started the ROLLBACK process yet.  I don't believe it has to do with any workflow change but I can't say it didn't.

One of our users in China starting having the problem at about 9 pm my time so nobody was at work here in the states.  When it actually started I cannot say yet.

I don't know why changing a workflow process would have caused this.  I believe it's something else.  But again, I can't say what it was.  Still investigating.

Top Tags