cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

SQL Server backup logs

DamianCastillo
1-Newbie

SQL Server backup logs

We are currently testing and configuring Windchill for our environment and we have ran into issues with the SQL Database logs. Our IT Consultant tells me that the logs get large and Windchill start having issues with them.

What general good practices have others implemented with SQL Server backup logs?

I have no idea about the database side of things and I am new to Windchill as well.

"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent, because they don't realize they can Fly like Superman"

5 REPLIES 5

Restart the system daily with new log files. Move the old files to a directory.
For my Oracle files, I rename them and delete the dump file every couple of days. Only the latest is actually of any value.
For Windchill logs I rename them every night when I do a restart on the processes after hours.
File vaults which are on the Windchill server, I depend on IT to back up the server every night, after the Oracle dump is done.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.

Holy Smokes. Sounds like I have a lot of learning to do. I apprecaite the response, but you just told me to do things I never knew about. Is this documented in the Windchill Guides or Training materials at all?

"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent, because they don't realize they can Fly like Superman"

Damian,

If you are talking about SQL Server Transaction logs, you can refer to

> they can Fly like Superman"
>

Hi,

If you have a disaster recovery plan that takes care of restoring database
backup and adding transactions logs and handling vaults then you should
use transaction logs on SQL server. If you dont have a plan you should
turn off transaction logs to gain SQL performance.

Best regards,
Magnus Persson

Here is a more detailed description of Windchill log files and backups.

I am not an expert in this, but this should give an overview to help some of you getting started.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.
Top Tags