cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Search - Object Type List

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Search - Object Type List

This is the text of a tech support call just placed:

We just upgraded to 9.1. Still working thru many user issues. One user reported the following. I just confirmed that this. It is different than all other users observed. Please advise what may be responsible. The user selects the word Search. The Search For: lists just the word Customize (hyperlink) with no objects listed before it. The user selects Customize, then selects All Applicable Object Types. They do a search. They go to any other page and return to search and it still lists All Applicable Object Types. They exit and then re-launch Windchill. The Search For: again lists just the word Customize (hyperlink) with no objects listed before it. Note: For several other users, once they select All Applicable Object Types, then exit and then re-launch Windchill, it still shows All Applicable Object Types. With this user, we set the user's preference Remember object selection to both Yes and No. This made no difference.

5 REPLIES 5

I had the same issue on my account after our upgrade. In the users
preferences, in the Search section, set "Remember Object Selection" to
yes.
LiuLiang
4-Participant
(To:MikeLockwood)

Theout of the box9.1 preference setting for "Remember object selection' is "No". We set it to "YES" at Site level and it works for all users to remember their selections in their previous Windchill sessions.

In Reply to Mike Lockwood:

This is the text of a tech support call just placed:

We just upgraded to 9.1. Still working thru many user issues. One user reported the following. I just confirmed that this. It is different than all other users observed. Please advise what may be responsible. The user selects the word Search. The Search For: lists just the word Customize (hyperlink) with no objects listed before it. The user selects Customize, then selects All Applicable Object Types. They do a search. They go to any other page and return to search and it still lists All Applicable Object Types. They exit and then re-launch Windchill. The Search For: again lists just the word Customize (hyperlink) with no objects listed before it. Note: For several other users, once they select All Applicable Object Types, then exit and then re-launch Windchill, it still shows All Applicable Object Types. With this user, we set the user's preference Remember object selection to both Yes and No. This made no difference.

We will try this.

Every one of these preferences (and everything else in the system) takes a huge effort to research fully and make decisions about. I have no doubt that this particular one will get resolved.

The related point that I have been trying to make with PTC for 10 years is that each customer needs to have a way to record this type of thing.

At a minimum, each configurable item (like this preference) needs to have documentation consisting of at least:
- The preference (yes, PTC provides this)
- The possible values (yes, PTC provides this)
- OTB value (yes, PTC provides this)
- The value in place at the customer and why (how to do this this is the point)*

* So, how can one document the setting for this preference and why and what several hours resulted in? There are 540 preferences in 9.1 (with PJL and PDM installed). There are 520 profile elements for each of 9 OTB profiles in 9.1. It's similar for other areas.

We have asked every clever way for the list of preferences and other configurable elements in a text file or csv or whatever, in order to dump them into a spreadsheet, in order to be able to add columns that document what value we have in place and why. For each category of configurable elements (preferences, profile elements, etc., etc.) we've had to laboriously type each value into spreadsheets. We'd love to do this more efficiently - or not do it at all - but time after time we've found it necessary to go back to individual items like this and re-trace our steps about why a certain value is in place, so the effort in creating the spreadsheets has been worth the effort. One of the classic reasons for this is when the default value of an element (this happens a lot with Pro/E) changes from one release to the next.

We just wish PTC would recognize this as being a core result of admin / planning effort and provide an easier way.
AL_ANDERSON
5-Regular Member
(To:MikeLockwood)

"For each category of configurable elements (preferences, profile
elements, etc., etc.) we've had to laboriously type each value into
spreadsheets."

We are struggling with the same issue. I agree completely.

Al Anderson
Solar Turbines Incorporated.

"Lockwood,Mike,IRVINE,R&D" <mike.lockwood@alconlabs.com>
03/30/2010 08:44 AM
Please respond to
"Lockwood,Mike,IRVINE,R&D" <mike.lockwood@alconlabs.com>

To
Liu Liang <->
cc
"-" <->
Subject
[solutions] - RE: Search - Object Type List

Caterpillar: Confidential Green Retain Until: 04/29/2010

We will try this.

Every one of these preferences (and everything else in the system) takes a
huge effort to research fully and make decisions about. I have no doubt
that this particular one will get resolved.

The related point that I have been trying to make with PTC for 10 years is
that each customer needs to have a way to record this type of thing.

At a minimum, each configurable item (like this preference) needs to have
documentation consisting of at least:
- The preference (yes, PTC provides this)
- The possible values (yes, PTC provides this)
- OTB value (yes, PTC provides this)
- The value in place at the customer and why (how to do this this is the
point)*

* So, how can one document the setting for this preference and why and
what several hours resulted in? There are 540 preferences in 9.1 (with
PJL and PDM installed). There are 520 profile elements for each of 9 OTB
profiles in 9.1. It's similar for other areas.

We have asked every clever way for the list of preferences and other
configurable elements in a text file or csv or whatever, in order to dump
them into a spreadsheet, in order to be able to add columns that document
what value we have in place and why. For each category of configurable
elements (preferences, profile elements, etc., etc.) we've had to
laboriously type each value into spreadsheets. We'd love to do this more
efficiently - or not do it at all - but time after time we've found it
necessary to go back to individual items like this and re-trace our steps
about why a certain value is in place, so the effort in creating the
spreadsheets has been worth the effort. One of the classic reasons for
this is when the default value of an element (this happens a lot with
Pro/E) changes from one release to the next.

We just wish PTC would recognize this as being a core result of admin /
planning effort and provide an easier way.

This documentation is especially important if you have to take over for another admin.

It can take a huge amount of time to figure out how someone architected ProE and PDMLink.

David Haigh
Phone: 925-424-3931
Fax: 925-423-7496
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
7000 East Ave, L-362
Livermore, CA 94550

Top Tags