cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Strange Web Browser Behavior

wbowling
3-Visitor

Strange Web Browser Behavior

I have had IE9 installed on both my Win 7 workstation and Win 7 laptop. Both are 64 bit Dells.

See attached charts.

When I remove IE9 and go back to IE8 the problem goes away. I tried installing IE10 and the problem comes back.

To further characterize the problem, consider a button on a web page that spawns a child web page. That child web page has a button that spawns another child web page. When the third web page is spawned the second web page vanishes. This was not happening until IT pushed system patches to the Win 7 system. There is one other person who has IE9 installed on his machine and he does not have this problem. I have Visual Studio 2005, 2008, and 2010 installed on my system.

I am told by IT that we have no GP that would be causing this but I have my doubts.

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
AdamDorsch
6-Contributor
(To:wbowling)

Have you tried Mozilla or Chrome?

Check the Java versions that are required and make sure you have the proper ones. The other item to check the compatibility settings for your windchill site- if the compatibilty is kicking in you will see issues such as this. Also try clearing out the browser cache. I have seen different behaviors between 32 bit and 64 bit explorer windows, some pages won't work on 64 bit, where it will work fine on 64 bit browsers. If there are any security software I would disable that as well. We have seen McAffee HIPS causing issues and they need to add exceptions to it.

I would also try Chrome and see if the issue persists.

We’ve nailed it down to the newest set of security patches distributed by Microsoft. There are around 20 of them. I have neither the time nor inclination to remove them one-by-one as our GP and SMS tends to put them back upon occasion. We can take all the patches down and everything works again.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

W.C. (Bill) Bowling
Fellow - Engineering Design Process Development
Aerojet Rocketdyne
Mechanical Design (MS: FB24)

I just went through this at my company and got help from the solutions explorer.
The specific patch is KB2846071.
There is a CS134791 on PTC's support page that talks about it.

Brian Toussaint
CAD Administrator

Hoshizaki America, Inc.
"A Superior Degree Of Reliability"
618 Hwy. 74 S., Peachtree City, GA 30269

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the great idea.

We found that information too but it didn’t work just removing that patch. It may work for some. Since it didn’t work just removing that patch for us we removed everything that was added at that time. That solved the problem so we know it’s something to do with MS patches. As I say, we have neither the time nor inclination to find out which specific patch it was in our case (I am part of Engineering and that’s an IT thing <grin>).

Incidentally, lest I leave you with the impression we left the security patches removed; we did not. We put them back in and are using IE8 for the time being. I don’t think it’s a good idea to remove security patches indiscriminately.

W.C. (Bill) Bowling
Fellow - Engineering Design Process Development
Aerojet Rocketdyne
Mechanical Design (MS: FB24)
Top Tags