cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Tried to enable Classification on Variance objects similar to Nonconformance.

bcedar
14-Alexandrite

Tried to enable Classification on Variance objects similar to Nonconformance.

Last December Daktronics brought the first of many Quality processes into Windchill from Infopath, Nonconformance.  There were many things to figure out but one of those things was the capturing of reporting location (which manufacturing line, value stream, or area is reporting this NC).  We decided to capture it in the ncCategoryCode classification tree.  This has been working great and now we are moving onto our second Quality process to migrate into Windchill from Infopath, Temporary Deviation Report (or Deviation as Windchill would call it).  Since this is a Quality owned process, we're going to have some growing pains considering the differences between Change objects and Quality objects.  The first one I have come across is how do we capture the same value stream information in Deviation that we are in Nonconformance.

We don't want to reinvent the wheel here, so the first thing I wanted to try was enable the ncCategoryCode classification that's on NC in Deviation.  This is that journey.

In an effort to expose the ncCategoryCode (Value Stream Classification Tree) to the TDR I created this file (attached as AddClassificationContraintsToVarianceAttributes.xml) based on what I saw from this article (https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS259850&art_lang=en&posno=1&q=classification%20constraint%20nonconformance&source=search) and digging into the xml file referenced in the article.

Using wt.load.LoadFromFile, I loaded this xml document and got a semi-success.  I could see a classification driven string in my create new wizard for Deviation.  BUT when I tried to populate it I got the following error, "It seems that you have not defined the callback function or the there is some error in it: PTC.csm.classificationPickerCallBack exception: TypeError: PTC.csm.classificationPickerCallBack is not a function".

This looks to me like there some sort of Interface I need to put into Variance to get it to support classification in a similar way that Nonconformance does it.  Whatever caused this error, I didn't dig into it as the effort has out paced the value in do this.  For a moment I thought I wasn't going to be able to undo some of what I did in our dev system, but I was able to undo it with the attached file (attached as RemoveClassificationContraintsFromVarianceAttributes.xml) and the deletion of the created attributes.

Moving forward, to be consistent, I will most likely implement an enumeration and change the Value Stream classification in Nonconformance to use this enumeration rather than the classification tree.  I write this to share my experience in exploring this rabbit hole and hope you find it useful.  If there is a simple way of fixing this error, please let me know.

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags