cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

WINDINDEX01.DBF

cc-2
6-Contributor

WINDINDEX01.DBF

Hello

has any of new experience an error message like this

ORA-01578: ORACLE data block corrupted (file #5, block #203352)

ORA-01110: data file 5: DATA\OCU\ORADATA\WIND\WINDINDEX01.DBF

PTC has given up and said it was an oracle issue, Oracle does not seem to be able to solve the issue and we have many but not all users who cannot upload anything at all to PDMLink.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
rjessen
2-Guest
(To:cc-2)

I had a customer who experienced the same type of issue, and it is an Oracle issue - not a PTC issue.

We ended up getting the right Oracle support person on the phone who walked me through many very low level commands that ended up resolving the issue.

Fortunately, yours as well as ours involves indexes and not data - so it can be fixed. Essentially that bad block is removed and then the indexes are rebuilt.

I would suggest you continue to press Oracle on the issue.
cc-2
6-Contributor

Many thanks for your reply. It gives me a bit more confidence.

By any chance do you have the contact detail of that person from Oracle ?

rjessen
2-Guest

I don't have the contact name, but I captured and saved the entire healing procedure - I also added comments based on my understanding of what was done.

WARNING: All the values in this healing were based on the specific block that failed, so your specific healing procedure will be different
The Oracle support person had me perform queries, and based on the results essentially developed a healing procedure on the fly.
He was very good and knew what he was doing, unless you have that same level of Oracle knowledge you could do more damage than good.
It is likely that you cannot backup the database in it's current state, so you only have one chance to get it right...
I would strongly encourage you to escalate the issue with Oracle, it is clearly their issue - and they have the expertise to fix it.

The following data is provided for informational purposes only and may be representative of what the healing session may look like:

C:\> sqlplus /nolog
SQL> connect sys/* as sysdba

/* DETEMINE THE PHYSICAL FILE WITH THE PROBLEM BASED ON THE ERROR MESSAGE WE SAW */
SQL> select name from v$datafile where file#=5;

NAME
RajuPulavarthi
4-Participant

Recently I had the same issue on my local Windchill instance running 9.1 with Oracle 10g. I ended up exporting the database and re-importing it again. That worked for me.

Raju Pulavarthi

St. Jude Medical
14901 DeVeau Place
Minnetonka, MN 55435 USA
-
sjm.com
cc-2
6-Contributor

Hi all

thank you for your replies. It helps me understand better the type of issue we are facing.

It sounds that we should not lose data which is the most important part.

Many thanks and best regards

Announcements

Top Tags