cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

What type of object is a Promotion Request?

amansfield
6-Contributor

What type of object is a Promotion Request?

Probably a stupid question here: what type of object is a Promotion Request?

I just want to create a custom view in the table on the "Updates" page and want to filter out all other document types so that people can see what they've requested to be Promoted.

I've been fiddling around with it but can't seem to find out which it is. The info page doesn't do anything for me..

Andrew Mansfield

KI Product Design & Development

Green Bay, WI

9 REPLIES 9

Andrew,
You can find out by going to Site or Organization -> Utilities -> Object Initialization Rules Administrator. There you will find object types. The Promotion Request object type is wt.maturity.PromotionNotice.

[cid:image001.png@01CA41D4.ED168A30]

Patrick Williams | Engineering Systems | Sr. Applications Engineer | Steelcase Inc. | 616.698.4078

[cid:image002.jpg@01CA41D4.ED168A30]

wt.maturity.PromotionNotice

Quoting Andrew Mansfield <->:

> Probably a stupid question here: what type of object is a Promotion Request?
> I just want to create a custom view in the table on the "Updates"
> page and want to filter out all other document types so that people
> can see what they've requested to be Promoted.
> I've been fiddling around with it but can't seem to find out which
> it is. The info page doesn't do anything for me..
> Andrew Mansfield
> KI Product Design & Development
> Green Bay, WI
>
>
amansfield
6-Contributor
(To:amansfield)

Thanks for the replies, however I don't think I've solved my problem: what do I select in the "Object Types" column so I can filter on it?

The Requests are visible in the table, but I can't tell what they are in the supplied list. (see attached image)

[cid:image003.png@01CA41D0.17C3C770]

Andrew Mansfield | Product Design & Development
Work 920.468.2167 | Mobile 920.619.7363
Email -<">mailto:->

Please consider the environmental impact before printing this email.

Your problem is that the view is not there by default to select as a type - you must add it. PTC Support might help you here but there is a database table or property I forget which where the type is added. I am curious so at some point later today I might try to dig up some info.

HTH,

Dave

Believe the table in Oracle that needs a new entry is called TableViewDescriptor - may be able to use the interface in Windchill to customize something and then some sql to change the type to promotion request- if you want to try something on a test box - I'll dig into it a little further. There is a column in there that is used to group the views by the type of table it is associated with. That why you can sort ofn prmotion requests within a pdmlink product but not on the updates table.

amansfield
6-Contributor

Further to this discussion:

Promotion Requests created by a user are visible under their "Updates" link, mixed in with everything else they produce and check-in. My intention is to let them filter out everything else from the list so they can see only these items, since they get no response from the system the the request was created successfully other than an item in the updates list. If they are creating a lot of stuff, things get lost and I have received multiple requests from the same people for the same objects as a result.

I tried experimenting with the object types in the viewsettings for the updates list and discovered that if I removed ANY of the types, the promotion requests would disappear from the list.. Needless to say I find this behaviour mystifying..

I'm going to open a call to tech support when I get a chance..

Ansdrew Mansfield

Product Design & Development
KI

Green Bay, WI

What we did was modify the Promotion Notice Workflow to create an
additional task. We called it "Track Promotion Request" This task just
sits in their task list and allows them to quickly check the status of
their PNs. When the Process is finished, it goes away. In the task
itself, they also have the option to not track the PN.

Then we added two filters to their assignments table. "Track Tasks
only", "No Track Tasks" to be able to filter these.

Steve D.

Quoting Andrew Mansfield <->:

> Further to this discussion:
> Promotion Requests created by a user are visible under their
> "Updates" link, mixed in with everything else they produce and
> check-in. My intention is to let them filter out everything else
> from the list so they can see only these items, since they get no
> response from the system the the request was created successfully
> other than an item in the updates list. If they are creating a lot
> of stuff, things get lost and I have received multiple requests from
> the same people for the same objects as a result.
> I tried experimenting with the object types in the view settings for
> the updates list and discovered that if I removed ANY of the types,
> the promotion requests would disappear from the list.. Needless to
> say I find this behaviour mystifying..
> I'm going to open a call to tech support when I get a chance..
> Ansdrew Mansfield
> Product Design & Development
> KI
> Green Bay, WI
>
>

For whatever reason, PromotionNotice is not included as one of the configurable items in the Updates table for customizing - so you can't make a view that has only this object type.

A few suggestions:

a) Make a saved search (Advanced Search), publish to all users, and encourage them to use it. Configure for object type Promotion Request, State=Under Review
- Can also configure each user's local saved search with their name as Creator

b) Alternate way - make a query builder report for same, tie to Home tab, encourage users to run

c) Add an email notification to the Creator Role for (all) the workflow processes used by Promotion (could be multiple depending on how you've configured preferences by target state).

Pet Peeve...
- Why isn't the menu pick "New Promotion Request" instead of "Promote?" When the user finishes, they have created the Promotion Request, which has launched the workflow; they have not in fact promoted anything.
amansfield
6-Contributor

I tried the Saved Search and it works OK as a work-around.. Thanks for the tip: I should have thought of that 🙂 It would be nice if there was aconfirmation email or message on the web page (using javascript?) that acknowledged the success of the operation.

As for pet peeves, I'm sure our users could list several hundred or so after just 1 month's use.. 🙂

Andrew Mansfield

Product Design & Development

KI, Green Bay, WI

Announcements

Top Tags