cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Where did the Work Items go?

Cosmo
1-Newbie

Where did the Work Items go?

Hi All
We seem to be missing Work Items. We have no idea where they went or how they disappeared.
We know that we should have at least one work item (name starts with the word "Initial") for each object of a certain type. On our test server, we have 63 of those objects. Therefore, logic would tell me that I should have at least 63 of these work items (but possibly many more depending on how many times this workflow process is run).
However, when searching for "Work Items" that have the name "Initial*", we only receive 19 work items in the results.
For reference, when we search on "Workflow Process" for processes that we know create this work item, we receive 123 results. So as I see it, I should see 123 corresponding work items.....somewhere.
Does anyone have any idea what we could be missing here? It's driving us bonkers. Any help would be appreciated.
Results are the same whether we are orgadmin or site admin.
Mike -

2 REPLIES 2

Mike,
I am pretty sure Work Items get purged from the system. They can be used for reporting in the short term but there is a preference that gets rid of them so the system doesn't use memory holding them(think its around 100 then purges). If someone took action on these task there should be a record in the WTVotingEventAudit table(routing choices) or the WTEventAudit tables which you can query off of.
Hope this helps,
Matthew Hoover
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:Cosmo)

Terminology is everything here as well as many places in Windchill...

1. Workflow Processes result from Workflow Templates.

2. Each Workflow Template may have multiple Template Activities (the head icons).

3. Each Template Activity results in an Assigned Activity at run-time.

4. Each Assigned Activity results in one or more Work Items, depending on the Role(s) / Participant(s) assigned and dynamically resolved as the Activity is assigned. Example: Assign to the Mfg Engr Role, to which Joe and Sue are assigned >> 2 Work Items.

5. Each Work Item is somewhat independent after creation. Each can be re-assigned, thru Re-Assign or Calendar Delegation. Joe's Work Item could end up with Frank, and Sue's Work Item could end up with John.

6. If the Activity is configured as ANY, then any one user can Accept, which doesn't change that user's Work Item, but deletes all other Work Items.

7. Finally, once the Activity has been executed, the Work Item(s) change to Completed state. OTB, Work Items get deleted once the current preference limit has been reached, on a queue. OTB, this is at 200 Work Items, dropping the system back to 100 each time.

Workflow Processes may be searched on; Work Items may not.
Query Builder reports can report on all; but only until each Work Item is deleted.

So, the inventory of stuff consists of:

- Workflow Templates, consisting of Activity Templates and other things

- Workflow processes, consisting of Assigned Activities and other things

- Executed Work Items, which get deleted once they build up (subject to a preference)

- Records of Workflow voting, if the users are given routing options
Top Tags