cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Windchill Default vs As Stored vs Latest

RussellLudwick
1-Newbie

Windchill Default vs As Stored vs Latest

This question refers to the add to workspace, check out, check in setting that people are using and why? My companies windchill is currently on "default", but I am finding several instances where the default actually screws things up, and I think "As Stored" might be a better configuration. For Example.

I have an assembly

top level Rev B (Rev A released, Rev B in work)

- Part 1 Rev A (Released)

- Part 2 Rev A (in work)

- Part 3 Rev B(Rev A Released Rev B in work)

The top level is "in work" and being revised because I am adding Part 2.

The problem I am coming across is in Part 3. My top level wants to use the released Part 3 rev A in Commonspace, but because someone else has created a Rev B that is now "in work", the model wants to pull the latest Rev. B instead of the released Rev. A into the assembly model.

In order to try and fix this, I went to commonspace and downloaded the Rev A released copy to my local workspace, and it updated in my model. Everything was fine, and I went to check it in. After check in, the Part 3 again updated and placed the "In Work" Revision of Part 3 into the model.

Is there any ways to get an older released copy to check in with my model, even though it is technically not the "latest." Would this problem be alleviated by having the server settings to "As Stored" instead of "Default"?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Russell...

*YES* if you delete the abandoned rev B, the system will revert back to using the latest revision available (Rev A) for any objects referencing it.

You have to be exceedingly careful though, deleting files in Windchill can be harrowing. Depending upon HOW to get to the Delete command, the options can be different You only want to get rid of anything with the rev "B" on it. There are some deletion options which will remove ALL revisions and ALL iterations (essentially completely obliterating the part).

At my company, when changes are ABANDONED as they are for your part 3, we do delete the part. We keep it if there's any chance the changes may be needed... but if they're truly abandoned, we get rid of the new rev.

Thanks!

-Brian

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi Russell...

This problem is just one of those unfortunate side effects of concurrent engineering.

Your company should leave the setting as "default".

Let's say you're at rev "C" of your top assembly but you need to go back and see the models as they were at Rev "A" (Released). This is when you should use "As Stored". Pulling these models into a clean workspace would be best.

In your case, you want the latest released parts in your assembly.There are certainly settings to pull these into your workspace (as you've found). I'm not sure why part 3 automatically downloaded the latest version though. Unless there's a setting I'm missing, part 3 should have stayed the same unless you did a check OUT or an Add to Workspace. In any event, you should have seen a warning that Part 3 was going to be replaced in session before it occurred (assuming it was in Pro/E memory).

The bigger problem will come later when the other designer completes his work on Part 3. Will his rev "B" destroy your upper level model? If so, that's a bigger issue, isn't it? Presumably his part 3 will be released before yours (if you go by the edict that parts are always released before the upper assemblies).

I just looked again for a Windchill setting which would have caused the overwrite of part 3 and I don't see it. Is it possible you accidentally overwrote part 3 manually somehow (with the latest version)?

Thanks...

-Brian

I think i will keep it default for now. One other thing I forgot to mention is that Part 3 is In Work, but the change was abandoned and it is now just left in work. An idea I got from another thread is to put part 3 in a state like "administrative release", to basically lock the part without officially releasing it. I am curious as to if I can delete the abandoned Rev B. Will it revert to the Rev A released copy in the drawings referencing it?

Pulling the latest copy might just be an unfortunate side effect of concurrent engineering...

Hi Russell...

*YES* if you delete the abandoned rev B, the system will revert back to using the latest revision available (Rev A) for any objects referencing it.

You have to be exceedingly careful though, deleting files in Windchill can be harrowing. Depending upon HOW to get to the Delete command, the options can be different You only want to get rid of anything with the rev "B" on it. There are some deletion options which will remove ALL revisions and ALL iterations (essentially completely obliterating the part).

At my company, when changes are ABANDONED as they are for your part 3, we do delete the part. We keep it if there's any chance the changes may be needed... but if they're truly abandoned, we get rid of the new rev.

Thanks!

-Brian

Thanks Brian,

We actually made the mistake of choosing the wrong option and deleted all the parts, but we had backed it up before we did it. For part three we had

Part 3

Rev A.1 Released

Rev B.4 In Work

The B Revision is now abandoned and needs to be deleted. The three options for deleting are below

1. Delete all interations and remove from workspaces

2. Delete all revisions and remove from workspaces

3. Delete latest revision and remove from workspaces

to my understanding, this is what each does

1. Deletes all iterations of Rev. B and the latest reverts to Rev. A.1 released

2. Deletes the part completely from the system (this is what we did thinking it was what #1 would do)

3. Deletes the latest iteration i.e. B.4, and it reverted to B.3 as the latest.

I am still testing, but so far this is my understanding. Thanks for your help.

Hi Russell...

My warning was intended to help you avoid that option #2. I knew I should've given you my deletion cheat sheet! Now I'm kicking myself because I didn't do it.

You have correctly identified all three of the deletion options (just to verify your understanding as a sanity check).

Take care...

-Brian

Top Tags