cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Windchill PDMLink Packaging - What Buisness Problem is intended to solve?

jheuft-2
1-Newbie

Windchill PDMLink Packaging - What Buisness Problem is intended to solve?

My understanding of Windchill PDMLink Packaging is that it was designed to help share requirements, design, or specification with an external group in an effort to improve collaboration. I find that there are some users in the community that entertain the thought of using Packaging to solve other issues like synchronization of two PDMLink systems.

My questions are:

1. What are some valid Use Cases for the use of Windchill PDMLink Packaging?
  2. Can Packaging be used to collaborate with a 2nd party if they do not have a PDMLink to import the Package? If so, how efficient would this be?
  3. Can Packaging be used as a synchronization mechanisim? What issues would be expected to work around?

My concerns are:

1. PTC put considerable effort into this functionality, but yet when I try to find users in the field that are actually utilizing this functionality they are hard to find. Is this capability that is widely used? If not, then why?
  2. There appears to be a fair amount of overhead associated with managing the package. Does anyone have experience with just how costly this is?
1 REPLY 1
stg
4-Participant
4-Participant
(To:jheuft-2)

Why some questions are left unanswered?

Top Tags