cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Windchill Support for Solidworks 3D Interconnect and Multi-CAD system

mjolaughl
1-Newbie

Windchill Support for Solidworks 3D Interconnect and Multi-CAD system

We use both Creo and Solidworks and we would like to upload Solidworks Assemblies to Windchill.  Has anyone used the PTC Windchill Workgroup Manager to upload and check-in Solidworks assemblies that include non-Solidworks parts such as NX or Creo?  Outside the PDM system, Solidworks 2017 will open native NX and Creo files but so far we have been unable to upload these to a Winchill workspace.  It appears that the 10.2 Workgroup Manager only allows for Solidworks parts and assemblies files to be opened.  Has this changed in 11.0?

4 REPLIES 4

We are trying to do the same thing with no luck. Even if I save my NX or Creo file to Windchill from their native software, which I have done, I cannot add them to my SolidWorks assembly. They show up in my Windchill workspace window but they don't show up in my Workspace folder when I select Insert Component. If I browse to an operating system folder I can grab them from there, but I would rather not have the native files out in the OS. Any suggestions?

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:kketsenburg)

I think by design PTC will only let you open the native files from the each of the workgroup managers.  They want you to do the collaboration in Creo (via 'Unite' functionality), not in SolidWorks or any other 3rd party CAD application.

There is probably very little business justification for PTC to allow you to open Creo files directly in SolidWorks.  While it could be good for the Windchill side of the business it would probably be very bad for the Creo side.

rmani
2-Guest
(To:TomU)

That seems to be the case. It is a good opportunity to improve the Windchill side of Business.

There's a reason for customers to not use Creo but now they got a new reason why they shouldn't use Windchill.

RJFRIC
4-Participant
(To:mjolaughl)

Has any one made in progress with this?  I'm running into the same issue.

Top Tags