Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windchill backup and restore

Hi everyone, I wonder if PTC provides an effective way to backup and restore all Windchill contents such as its database and documents stored within. In the official Windchill System Administrator’s Guide(ch. "Windchill Import and Export") are reported some GUI tools (java-based) that can be found within the System Administration menu on the Windchill home page, but is it also stated that they do not export and re-import all data. Does anyone have some experience with them? What's your advise? Are these tools safe enough to easily backup and restore Windchill content in case of a disaster recovery? Is it possible to "schedule" these tools? Please advise your best solution, it will be very usefull! Thanks, Luigi
6 REPLIES 6

backup and restore all Windchill

Three type of back up required: 1: LDAP Aphelion backup 2: vault backup 3: Database Backup

Re: backup and restore all Windchill

"Gour Sundar Das" wrote:

Three type of back up required: 1: LDAP Aphelion backup 2: vault backup 3: Database Backup

Re: backup and restore all Windchill

There is a batch file “WC_EXP.bat� located at Windchill Home. This tool intends to give user the option of Backing up the system. • The utility is designed to take backup for last four consecutive days. The backup files are stored in folders named as DAY-1, DAY-2, DAY-3 and DAY-4. During the 5th day’s backup, new backup goes to DAY-1, contents of DAY-1 move to DAY-2. Similarly, contents of DAY-2 move to DAY-3, contents of DAY-3 move to DAY-4 and old contents of DAY-4 are deleted. At any time, DAY-1 contains the latest backup.

Hello Luigi, I have a utility that does backups and restore but I've never used WC_EXP.bat as it's not installed on my system (PTC people have different methods for doing this). This utility comes as a zip file (wtbackup.zip) and you should be able to get a copy from your PTC reseller, however it's not supported by tech support. I have been building a new production system so I've been testing the backup process and more importantly the restore option. It works like this: There are two property files that you edit to suit your site (paths, email details etc). A batch file calls an xml file that uses Apache Ant (already on your system) to create folders, backup the LDAP, Apache, Windchill codebase and do an Oracle export. There is also a batch file that restores the backup (you have to edit the file to select the correct backup that you want to restore. I've used this many times particularly when configuring a new system as it's really handy if you make a booboo to be able to restore to an earlier state. If your system is "all in one box" then it's very easy to configure but a bit more tricky if its multi box i.e. Oracle on its own with external file vaults (like mine). I then use "scheduled tasks" on windows to trigger the wtbackup.bat file. Regarding disaster recovery procedure thats exactly what I've been doing, backing up one system then restoring them to another. If you would like to try this utility but can't get it from PTC I will send it to you. By the way, if you are using Oracle 10R2 the script has to be modified slightly. If you can, build yourself a test system first to check that both backup and restore works (this is definitely a good plan as my few first attempts at a restore killed the system). Regards Pete

RE: Windchill backup and restore

Ciao Luigi, the application that Peter mentioned it is what we always use at customer site. I think its user manual was already posted to yoy by Luca. Isn't it? We will use it at your site. Backup strategies (and vaults backup) have to be defined.

Re: Windchill backup and restore

Where would I get a copy of wtbackup?