cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Workflow practice - Modify after promote

vmcdaniel
2-Guest

Workflow practice - Modify after promote

Guru's,
How would you do this?
In our part setup workflow, we have the Engineer Promote the Part, then the workflow tasks Sourcing to add a quote/pricing data to the part; this requires checkout/in and new version (iteration) created.
In my workflow, I leave the Part at WIP, until after this step, the problem is the Promotion Request contains the prior version, so the next users in the workflow are getting directed to the wrong version.
I think I want to have the Promotion Request have the latest version, so if you know how to do that, great! Tell me.
But I'm also curious what you all do in this type of scenario (have Sourcing Promote?) How do you handle this?

-Thanks, Vaughn
2 REPLIES 2

Can't use promote for this w/o a big hassle (there is a way in 10.x to update to the latest Iteration of what's on the promotion request).

Have to instead consider using a change request / notice / task. These inherently float to the latest Iteration. We have exactly this situation where we simply do a state change (no Revise), but require creation of WTParts if they don't exist, updating attributes, adding additional objects, etc. after creation of the request. It lends itself to someone starting the request, then others do work on both the request itself and the data on it, then approval, then state change.

Vaughn,

You just have to update the promotion request (when your task Sourcing is completed) to point to the latest version of your part (your Primary Business Object).
That will require to update the associated baseline(s)... you can use the Windchill API to update them easily and cleanly.

- Nicolas Weydert -

Top Tags