cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it possible to restrict users from accessing files in different life cycle states in pdmlink?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Moonstone

is it possible to restrict users from accessing files in different life cycle states in pdmlink?

Hi everyone,

this particular part while customizing is confusing me a lot. Please help!

Q. is it possible to restrict users from accessing CAD/NonCAD documents in different life cycle states in windchill pdmlink?

Example Scenario:

I have users userA, userB, userC, userD, userE.

I have groups groupA(uploader), groupB(viewer), groupC(approver)

I have defined custom profiles and created teams also.

Lifecycle states: Inwork -> Approved -> Obsolete

What I want is userB should be restricted to view files only in Approved state and not other files(CAD/NonCAD) in Inwork or Obsolete state. I have created a lifecycle state and designated roles and access control to only read to userB and added this lifecycle in OIR but is of no good? 

Am I doing it right? or should I run any command after changing OIR to implement those changes? Kindly help.

Vinay S.
CADOpt Technologies Private Limited
Bengaluru.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: is it possible to restrict users from accessing files in different life cycle states in pdmlink?

OTB, there are many ACLs for the "TeamMembers" Role - and these can play havoc with an otherwise well-designed approach.  TeamMembers (distinct from but including "Members") includes all Roles except Manager and Guest.  OTB, the TeamMembes Role can pretty much do everything. This may be why the user b below can read when not desired.  Drill down to the specific statement.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: is it possible to restrict users from accessing files in different life cycle states in pdmlink?

Short answer: Yes, absolutely both possible and essential to configure.

It's a bit complex because the Product/Library templates have a large number of both Roles and Policy Admin statements (ACL's) covering many object types - and for the "BASIC" Lifecycle template for all Doc's (CAD and non-CAD) and WTParts).  There are other product templates based on other lifecycle templates.

In general, it's a five-dimensional puzzle:

- Where applied (what domain).

- To What (obeject type)

- When (at what state(s))

- Who (user, group, context Role or potentially the whole organization)

- What can they do: Read, Download, Modify, etc.

Verify what is there before / after making changes.  For 10.2 and before, the tool is Manage Security; for 11.0 it's Edit Access Control.  Launch from a specific object; the results are only for the current state of that object.

In general for the case you describe, it allows for:

- Users in Manufacturing have access to for example Rev A Released (the last iteration, say A.3) but are not aware that Rev B is being worked on since it's at In Work state.

- Users involved in development / change have Rev B at In Work available.

Highly recommended:

- Possibly on a test Windchill system or ok in production: create a test Product or Library and remove all ACL's, and all Roles except Manager.

- Create a few test CAD Docs / WTDocs in that context. Set each to a different state in the lifecycle.

- Add back one Role (e.g. Engineer) and add a user to the Role.

- Use Edit Access Control from each object and see what the Engineer can do.

- Gradually get comfortable and confident with applying ACL's this way.

PDMLink 11.0

I have created a user requirement lifecycle template in the organization context and have created custom roles at organization level (assuming it would be applicable to every context below it). Now I create a cad part in a folder inside my product. Here initially part will be in inwork. As mentioned earlier at this state I want only userA and userC who is assigned to approver role should be should be able to view it. userB who is in a viewer role should not be able to view it. But even if I have restricted userB for only viewing and downloading documents(cad/non-cad) in approved state, he/she is able to view it in other states also. 

Instead of creating custom roles at organization context should I go with product level and assign each user to a pre-defined role or my approach of going with organization context should be fine? 

Vinay S.
CADOpt Technologies Private Limited
Bengaluru.

OTB, there are many ACLs for the "TeamMembers" Role - and these can play havoc with an otherwise well-designed approach.  TeamMembers (distinct from but including "Members") includes all Roles except Manager and Guest.  OTB, the TeamMembes Role can pretty much do everything. This may be why the user b below can read when not desired.  Drill down to the specific statement.