cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

is it possible to restrict users from accessing files in different life cycle states in pdmlink?

Vinay_S
15-Moonstone

is it possible to restrict users from accessing files in different life cycle states in pdmlink?

Hi everyone,

this particular part while customizing is confusing me a lot. Please help!

Q. is it possible to restrict users from accessing CAD/NonCAD documents in different life cycle states in windchill pdmlink?

Example Scenario:

I have users userA, userB, userC, userD, userE.

I have groups groupA(uploader), groupB(viewer), groupC(approver)

I have defined custom profiles and created teams also.

Lifecycle states: Inwork -> Approved -> Obsolete

What I want is userB should be restricted to view files only in Approved state and not other files(CAD/NonCAD) in Inwork or Obsolete state. I have created a lifecycle state and designated roles and access control to only read to userB and added this lifecycle in OIR but is of no good? 

Am I doing it right? or should I run any command after changing OIR to implement those changes? Kindly help.

Vinay S.
CADOpt Technologies Private Limited
Bengaluru.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:Vinay_S)

OTB, there are many ACLs for the "TeamMembers" Role - and these can play havoc with an otherwise well-designed approach.  TeamMembers (distinct from but including "Members") includes all Roles except Manager and Guest.  OTB, the TeamMembes Role can pretty much do everything. This may be why the user b below can read when not desired.  Drill down to the specific statement.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Short answer: Yes, absolutely both possible and essential to configure.

It's a bit complex because the Product/Library templates have a large number of both Roles and Policy Admin statements (ACL's) covering many object types - and for the "BASIC" Lifecycle template for all Doc's (CAD and non-CAD) and WTParts).  There are other product templates based on other lifecycle templates.

In general, it's a five-dimensional puzzle:

- Where applied (what domain).

- To What (obeject type)

- When (at what state(s))

- Who (user, group, context Role or potentially the whole organization)

- What can they do: Read, Download, Modify, etc.

Verify what is there before / after making changes.  For 10.2 and before, the tool is Manage Security; for 11.0 it's Edit Access Control.  Launch from a specific object; the results are only for the current state of that object.

In general for the case you describe, it allows for:

- Users in Manufacturing have access to for example Rev A Released (the last iteration, say A.3) but are not aware that Rev B is being worked on since it's at In Work state.

- Users involved in development / change have Rev B at In Work available.

Highly recommended:

- Possibly on a test Windchill system or ok in production: create a test Product or Library and remove all ACL's, and all Roles except Manager.

- Create a few test CAD Docs / WTDocs in that context. Set each to a different state in the lifecycle.

- Add back one Role (e.g. Engineer) and add a user to the Role.

- Use Edit Access Control from each object and see what the Engineer can do.

- Gradually get comfortable and confident with applying ACL's this way.

Vinay_S
15-Moonstone
(To:MikeLockwood)

PDMLink 11.0

I have created a user requirement lifecycle template in the organization context and have created custom roles at organization level (assuming it would be applicable to every context below it). Now I create a cad part in a folder inside my product. Here initially part will be in inwork. As mentioned earlier at this state I want only userA and userC who is assigned to approver role should be should be able to view it. userB who is in a viewer role should not be able to view it. But even if I have restricted userB for only viewing and downloading documents(cad/non-cad) in approved state, he/she is able to view it in other states also. 

Instead of creating custom roles at organization context should I go with product level and assign each user to a pre-defined role or my approach of going with organization context should be fine? 

Vinay S.
CADOpt Technologies Private Limited
Bengaluru.
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

OTB, there are many ACLs for the "TeamMembers" Role - and these can play havoc with an otherwise well-designed approach.  TeamMembers (distinct from but including "Members") includes all Roles except Manager and Guest.  OTB, the TeamMembes Role can pretty much do everything. This may be why the user b below can read when not desired.  Drill down to the specific statement.

Top Tags