cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The community will undergo maintenance on October 16th at 10:00 PM PDT and will be unavailable for up to one hour.

"Send to PDM" results in Terminal Objects

bmenke
1-Newbie

"Send to PDM" results in Terminal Objects

Is anyone else experiencing this behavior?

1. Share an object from product context to a project
  2. Convert to PDM Check out
  3. Make some modification (e.g. edit attribute)
  4. Send to PDM
  5. Remove from project
  6. Search for object by name. Result: Latest version of object in product context, AND, iteration of object in project context, shown as checked-out, set as TERMINAL status.

I've got an open call with PTC support right now, and they say although the terminal objects are supposed to be created on "Send to PDM", they are NOT supposed to appear in the search results. I even did a Webex into PTC's own Windchill system and saw it for myself.

So, do you see objects with a terminal status in your system, and if you do, how do you manage them? It's making it very difficult for us to determine if an object is really checked-out to a project or not.

Thanks, Bob

6 REPLIES 6

Bob-

I haven't seen the terminal status, but last week I was learning my way around projects and noticed something didn't seem right.

After checking out and modifying an item in a project, sending to PDM, and then deleting that object from the project, it is returned twice in the search results--one iteration in pdmlink (as it should be) and another iteration showing itstill in the project, when it is most definitely no longer in the project. In my case, the status of the object is shown as 'in work.'

That's all I know at the moment, I haven't even started chasing it down but when I saw your post I thought I'd chip in.

-Randy

Actually, on closer inspection, the state is 'in work' and there is no status on the object's info page. I am using this for CAD ojbects, and you have documents, so I think that explains the status discrepancy.And for reference I am on 9.1 M020.

RussPratt
5-Regular Member
(To:bmenke)

I've done a lot of testing/verification around this topic and have never seen the "Terminal" One-Off Version show up in the search returns. Primary testing has been on 9.0 and 9.1 M020 systems on my laptop, no customizations, OOTB preferences and configuraitons for the most part. I just repeated your test on my 9.1 system and do not see the One-Off in the search returns. I believe there is a preference that can control whether or not search returns include more than the latest version, but I haven't looked at that in a long while. It could be your issue, and as reported, likely a bug in its returning of the "terminal" one-off.

You normally locate any One-Off verions, including those that are "Terminal" in the Revision History of the object. This is appropriate to locate the history of any actions that occured while checked out to a Project. Terminal - represents the fact that the One-Off version is no longer editable. If you re-checkout to PDM, you will get a new One-Off of the object.

Russ

bmenke
1-Newbie

New info: In our system (we're in the pilot stage now, go-live is next month!), we have indexing turned off. Our admin discovered that if the indexing engine is turned on, these one-off terminal objects go away.

For those of you who replied: Do you have indexing turned on in your system? Have you seen this have an effect on these one-off objects?

In Reply to Bob Menke:

Is anyone else experiencing this behavior?

1. Share an object from product context to a project
  2. Convert to PDM Check out
  3. Make some modification (e.g. edit attribute)
  4. Send to PDM
  5. Remove from project
  6. Search for object by name. Result: Latest version of object in product context, AND, iteration of object in project context, shown as checked-out, set as TERMINAL status.

I've got an open call with PTC support right now, and they say although the terminal objects are supposed to be created on "Send to PDM", they are NOT supposed to appear in the search results. I even did a Webex into PTC's own Windchill system and saw it for myself.

So, do you see objects with a terminal status in your system, and if you do, how do you manage them? It's making it very difficult for us to determine if an object is really checked-out to a project or not.

Thanks, Bob

Hi Bob-

We have indexing turned ON, and I just repeated your test with a document (yesterday's work was done with a CAD object) and I can confirm the same results that you reported in the first post. Terminal object showing in the search results despite the fact that it no longer exists in the project. I'm not sure how indexing might have impacted the results--as I said, we have it on and it's behaving exactly as you've described while your admin had it off.

-Randy

bmenke
1-Newbie

PTC has replicated this problem (in 9.1 M030/M040, it doesn't occur in 9.0 M060) and has assigned a Software Performance Report to evaluate it: SPR #1975492

It's labeled as high priority, so I've been promised an answer in 20-days on how they plan to fix it.

Thanks to all that responded. I be sure to send out an update when they provide a resolution.
Announcements

Top Tags