cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

winchill save and upload (or NOT)

hspaulding
3-Visitor

winchill save and upload (or NOT)

One of our users has an assembly he is working on (new assy, never been checked in). He deletes a part from the assy and adds another part. He does a file/save and upload. Pro/E tells him that the assy has been saved but says nothing about upload and no circular rotating arrows at the bottom of the screen (the uploading indicator). The warning box indicates that the save was successful but no mention of the upload. In the workspace the "needs to be uploaded" icon is present. When he picks the upload button the message area says upload successful but the "needs to be uploaded" icon remains. When he exits the assy and "erase not displayed" and opens the assy again the assy is back to its pre-modification state as if he did nothing. What is going on here. Thanks Herb Spaulding Miller Industries
4 REPLIES 4

Sounds like his Workspace may be Corrupt. There are a few ways to check on this. First, does the event manager "red stop sign" show up at the bottom of the screen indicating a warning or error? If so go to the Event Manager and try to decipher its message. If not, go to the folder location where the cache is saved, this will either be on the local hard drive or a network location depending on how your company has chosen to set it up. Location should look something like this if you are on Release 8 may be different for 9; \PTC\ProENGINEER\Wildfire\.wf\.cache2\"yourwindchillserver". Once you have a window up to monitor the cache, sort it by date with latest on the top. Check to see if there are sid and lid files with timestamps that correlate with the users latest saves. If there are any files starting with tmp_ and multiples of this type of file; the workspace is definitely corrupt. If everything looks ok in the cache area, have the user check in their assembly if possible. At the first screen that comes up, scroll through it and look for anything that could cause the assembly not to upload or check in. If nothing, hit the next or finish button. If it fails to check in the event manager may give you a clue. If this still fails, I have my users back up their work to a Pro/BACKUP folder, create a new Workspace, activate the new Workspace, open the assembly from the Pro/BACKUP folder and once its up Save it to the Workspace. The biggest drawback to this method is dealing with all the file name conflicts if the assembly uses existing files. The previous Workspace should eventually be Deleted and the name of that Workspace should never be reused. Just a side note to all of this; we have found that switching between Workspaces can cause Workspace corruption. Because of this we now make it common practice to exit Pro/E, re-launch, and then switch Workspaces. I don't get nearly the calls of corrupt Workspaces now. Hope this helps. Craig Clough CAD Administrator
Darrell
12-Amethyst
(To:ptc-914963)

Since upgrading several of our workstations to at least 4GB of RAM (8GB preferred) and 64-bit WinXP, we haven't had nearly as many corrupt workspaces. WF3 M160 and PDMLink 9 M020.

Hey Herb, This is Chad from beautiful Peachtree City GA. How are things going? Don't know if you will get this but saw your name and thought I would drop you a line -Chad

Hey, back atcha, Chad Things are good. Wish you were here (hahaha!) I know you're not. E-mail me.
Top Tags