cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Simulated Fluid Flow for Presentations

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Simulated Fluid Flow for Presentations

Have you ever needed to create a presentation where you wanted to show fluid flow ?

Here is an interesting technique using mechanism to create a fluid flow simulation.

The idea is simple enough; create a basic "swirl" geometry...

FluidFlow_element.PNG

This is a simple helical sweep following whatever shape you want the fluid to follow.  In my case, a simple conic.

Save a copy of your "vane" using the Mirror Part option.

I used an assembly to pattern the single vain. 

For some reason, patterning failed within the part file, so to simplify the overhead I made this assembly and one like it with the mirrored vane.

FluidFlow_asm.PNG

In the next-level assembly, both the original and the mirror version are assembled on top of each other.

In the Mechanism application, you can use either a motor or a gear connection to rotate these assemblies in opposite directions.

FluidFlow_mechanism.PNG

I also applied a glass appearance.  This makes for a profound effect when you use the Shade with Reflections for your annotation.

Just remember that transparency can add a huge overhead to your graphics processing.  The above image has transparency disabled in Options.

Here is the mechanism animation comparing use of lower quality graphics in Shaded mode and HQ settings and Shaded with Reflection selected:

Flow rates are easily managed with Mechanism and volumes can be simulated with the initial geometry.

Remember to use HD setting in YouTube.

Enjoy!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
DavorGranic
14-Alexandrite
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Very nice. But what we need is CFD addition to Simulate tho there are 3rd party solutions.

can you add video of the above tutorial so, it will be easy to understand for me....... plz upload soon

Very kool. How would you animate fluid flowing from a square tube?  TIA.   --Neal

I probably wouldn't made the distinction

Top Tags