cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Using the built-in standard hole features

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Using the built-in standard hole features

Warning! Long email below. Read at your own risk!

I am curious how many people use the built-in Pro/e standard hole features vs. how many use something else. There are many different ways to deal with standard holes. I have personally used three (depending on the employer) and I can imagine at least two more. Each seems to have their own pros and cons, and none of them seem perfect. I would like to get feedback on what you do in your environment, why you do it that way, and what are the pros and cons?

Below are my thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages of each method. Based on my experience thus far, my preference is for method 2. Even though there is less flexibility in changing the holes after placement (compared to 1), the ability to customize in advance everything from thread length to drill depth to counterbore depth (based on actual screw length) and many other things makes it worth the loss of the pretty interface.

1. Use the standard out-of-the-box hole features
+ Single feature in the model tree
+ Simple user interface for placing and altering the holes
- No relationship between counterbore depth and part thickness. No way to insure that counterbore depth will work with an actual screw length.
- No relationship between hole sizes in two different parts (or even multiple holes in the same part not in a pattern)
- Hole size (3/8-16 vs. 5/8-11) cannot be controlled by Pro/Program, Family Table, or Relations.
+ Able to populate a hole chart on a drawing.
- Any time the hole is altered/redefined, the note syntax will not update unless "reset" is pushed (every time)
+ Threads will automatically trim themselves when breaking out into a hole or out of a part.

2. Use custom created hole features (extrudes, cosmetic threads, etc. typically contained in a UDF and placed with mapkeys)
- Multiple features (inside a UDF) in the model tree
- No user interface for making changes. Hole size is altered by editing a dimension. Hole type (ex: tap vs. counterbore) is changed by deleting and recreating the hole.
+ Relationship between holes in different parts can be automatically maintained (tap can 'read' the counterbore size, for example).
+ Hole size (3/8-16 vs. 5/8-11) can be completely controlled by Pro/Program, Family Table, and Relations.
- Cannot (to the best of my knowledge) populate a hole chart on a drawing
+ Counterbore depth can be dimensioned from the bottom of the part and even set to automatically change based on part thickness.
- Must be maintained (and possibly recreated) when moving between major releases.
- Threads do not automatically trim themselves when breaking out into a hole or out of a part.

3. Use 3rd party software like SmartLibrary<">http://sigmaxim.com/html/smartlibrary.html>
+ Single feature in the model tree (uses the built-in hole features)
+ Comprehensive user interface for placing and altering the holes
+ Capable of adding all related holes at the same time (counterbore, tap, clearance hole, etc.)
- Only functions at the assembly level (fastener hole cannot be placed in part mode)
- Expensive up-front purchase. Annual maintenance (per user).
- Fastener models are automatically added to the assembly (making it very heavy with hundreds or thousands of holes)
- No relationship between hole sizes in two different parts (or even multiple holes in the same part not in a pattern)
- Counterbore depth will not automatically update based on part thickness

4. Use the built-in hole features, but customize them, save them to a UDF, and place them with mapkeys
Considering this right now. I think I could gain the some of the benefits of both one and two above.
- Even though the user interface would be available, it probably couldn't be used for making changes or the customization would be overridden.

5. Build some completely custom interface using Toolkit to create something similar to the built-in holes, but the way you want.
- Requires extensive time and development (and possibly a Pro/Toolkit license)
- Must be maintained (and possibly recreated) when moving between major releases.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Interesting.
I have modified the default hole tables and created a few more to deal with clearance holes, flush mount flat screws and some odd thread forms.
I have modified the most of the information contained in the hole files, including dimensions, names & callouts, to obtain something which correlates to my standard geometric tolerances and gives me a nice looking note in my drawing almost automatically. I do use hole tables sometimes, so yes its handy there.
I also use a couple UDF's for center drills.

Holes & fasteners are something where PTC is waaaay behind the competition and it’s a shame.
Have a look sometime what AutoDesk Inventor can do and has been able to do for ~8 years, there must be a video online somewhere, simply amazing.
Search for Bolted Connection Wizard, one of their Design Accelerator applications.

Regards,
Walt Weiss

Top Tags