cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Creo/Windchill revisions

dgrobe
6-Contributor

Creo/Windchill revisions

Is it possible to be able to use both, letter, and number revisions..

We currently have our manufacture parts at number revs and our purchase parts as letter revisions.

however, i cant get the letter option to take in creo when i create a new purchase part.

thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
10 REPLIES 10
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:dgrobe)

Yes, this is possible as long as the parts are in different contexts (products or libraries).  See the related discussion here: Different revision sequence for different contexts

Technically you could also create a single, system-wide versioning series that listed the numbers before the letters, but then the users would have to manually skip over the numbers to get to a letters on the first revise of a purchase part.

A

B

C

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Here's another discussion with links to the related documentation:  to make ptc_wm_revision start from 0 with a relation

Couldn't you also define two sub-types for the CAD Documents?  One for purchased that would use letters and one for manufactured that would use numbers?

-marc

dgrobe
6-Contributor

is it possible that this is not allowed in Windchill Lite.  we have the stripped down version of windchill.  and we have our revisions setup like Tom shows.. but this is hte error i get when trying to manually type in A as a revision..

Either new revision value "A" is not valid, or it is not greater than the existing revision value "1". Specify an appropriate value for the new revision.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Did you create a new series or modify the existing series?

Existing objects cannot be pointed to a different series after creation.  The only way they will see the letters is if you added the letters after the numbers in the same series they are already referencing.

If you would like I can show you how to query the database for what series a particular object is using.

dgrobe
6-Contributor
(To:TomU)

We didnt modify anything.  when windchill was setup, i think we were only setup with simple# option.  i am working with our administrator on this, to see if we can fix the revision table, but, we are having trouble getting it to work.

currently i am bringing existing parts from Intralink into Windchill.  when i get the name and description setup, i want to set the revision to what it is currently.  however, letters are not allowed.  i dont even have a revision icon available until i upload.  once it uploads, it auto sets the revision to 1.1.  which is fine.  i just want to set it to a letter, but it doesnt let me.

dgrobe
6-Contributor

ok, i have been given some freedom when it comes to this.  can someone show me the text i need to use to modify the current revision table.

we currently have numeric revision, simple# 1.1, 1.2, 1.10, 2.1 and so forth..

i am happy with that.  however.. i would like to be able to have it be 001.1, 001.2  where my rev is 001.  or 002, and so on..

im not worried about the iteration.. just in windchill, the rev 1, i want to be rev 001.

is there an overridable option in the global setup, that allows the users to override the system rev 1, to be rev 001 without changing the table.

thanks alot.  we are ready to put all users on Creo.. just want to get this fixed up.

thanks

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Users can not manually add a revision that is not in the list. The list is a setup item in Windchill with administrator privileges.

Although you are getting good advice here, there is a Windchill specific sub-category that you could ask the question in.

PTC Windchill

TomU
23-Emerald IV

As Stephen mentioned, this is an area that an administrator needs to perform, and you really should do this before you start creating production data in the system.

Take a look at the documentation here:

<Windchill Server>/Windchill-WHC/index.jspx?id=ObjRulesChp_VersionSchemeChg&action=show

or

http://support.ptc.com/cs/help/windchill_hc/wc102_hc/index.jspx?id=ObjRulesChp_VersionSchemeChg&action=show

and

<Windchill Server>/Windchill-WHC/index.jspx?id=ObjRulesChp_FileBasedScheme&action=show

or

http://support.ptc.com/cs/help/windchill_hc/wc102_hc/index.jspx?id=ObjRulesChp_FileBasedScheme&action=show

Once you've read these, feel free to follow up with any questions you may have.

dgrobe
6-Contributor

Thanks for the links.. i was looking at that yesterday towards the end of the day.. i was given administrator privaleges for the time being.. to see if we can get the label correct..  here is the question..  will this be the correct lines of text?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  <scheme>
  <series name = "CNT">
  <value>001</value>
  <value>002</value>
  <value>003</value>

<value>004</value>
  </series>
  </scheme>

all the way up to how high i want it to go?

i saw in the notes that we should put this in before users start making parts.  however.. we have already migrated our system over.  will this be an issue?  we havent created parts yet.. but commonspace does have the data from Intralink.

also, we have come to the conclusion.. if we cant get this to work, then we can just use parameters to fill in the revisions in the title block.

Top Tags