cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

ABOUT UDF'S

cspinelli
13-Aquamarine

ABOUT UDF'S

hello,

is it possible to create an udf that changes as the principal model?

let me explain: i have a pipe and, in the end of it, i want to use an udf to add a countersink.

this countersink changes with the dimension and thickness of the pipe.

is it possible?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8
mbonka
15-Moonstone
(To:cspinelli)

Hello Christian,

l think it´s a problem about refernece selection. You have to know what you want, than create en UDF. l prepared an example for you. Please see attached file:

There are 3 featers:

1. PIPE - extrude feater for modifications (try to edit and see next 2 revolts featers what they do)

2. DYNAMIC - revolte feater that works with modified pipe diameter and wall thickeness

3. STATIC - revolte feater that is OK in "start" dimmensions, but with PIPE modifications it starts to be a mess.

l think something like DYNAMIC feater is what are you looking for.

Hope it help

Regards

Milan

cspinelli
13-Aquamarine
(To:mbonka)

thanks, but i meant another question, as seen in the image attached.

i have a pipe diameter 6 thickness 1 and i added a countersink with an udf.

i want to be able that, if i change the diameter or thickness of the pipe, automatically changes the udf

svasatura.jpg

From what I see here, I don't understand why you used a UDF in the first place. I always look on UDF functionality as a "I have to do this dozens of times and it is incredibly tedious" tool. What you show here looks like a simple revolved feature, but maybe I'm just jumping to conclusions.

Either way, what you should probably look into is using relations to set the dimensions of the countersink. You use the dimension that defines the pipe diameter (inner, outer, both) and use calculate the countersink dimensions based upon whatever criteria you would use to hand calculate it.

cspinelli
13-Aquamarine
(To:KenFarley)

yes, you're right but the people i work with are very "bithcy" about that...

they said to me "i want to work as less as possible"..

so, in your opinion, can i use a relation like "IF DIAMETER = 6 THEN DIMENSION IS.."?

From what I remember about UDF building, it's not really amenable to using relations. I think what you might need to do is define a UDF for each standard size pipe you use. Hopefully there aren't too many.

you can make the UDF have a variable dimension so when the user brings the UDF in they would be prompted for what the diameter of the shaft is.

But I think the crux of the problem is that we wish to use the pipe diameter to calculate the other dimensions for the feature. From what I remember, relations are not available in UDFs. Thus, I think you'd need to define a UDF for the different sizes of pipe you expect to use. One for each size, unfortunately. Either that or you make all the dimensions of the thing variable and rely on someone entering all of them correctly every time they use the UDF.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:cspinelli)

This is very doable. There are basically two approaches.

1. Make one (or more) dimensions or parameters variable when creating the UDF. This will allow the user to enter a value (like pipe size) when placing the UDF and have it update accordingly.
  2. Create a feature to "measure" the pipe and then build your countersink feature off of that. There is no problem with putting relations inside the features that make up the UDF group.

This second approach works great when you need the new feature to be driven by the location and/or size of something else. I've used this in the past to make dependent hole features (clearance holes, tapped holes, counter bores, etc.)

Regardless of which approach you take, be very careful what references you choose. Any reference that any feature has to anything outside the group will require selection when placing the UDF. (Planes, edges, faces, etc.) Strive to build the features and the UDF with the minimum amount of references possible.

Top Tags