cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Added text to a repeat region BOM table

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Added text to a repeat region BOM table

We have a BOM table that we now have a need to add another column to but this added column will be user entered text. Is this possible?

We have started to identify parts that need to be segregated when stored. We at first added a suffix to the part numbers, but when management realized that this would triple our family table sizes, they asked for an alternate solution. Since the parts themselves could in any or all of 3 states, I thought that we could add a STATE column to the BOM and then manually fill in that cell depending on the part state in that assembly.

If I cannot put the column in the BOM repeat region, my next idea is to add a single column table and place it in front of the BOM table and have the users fill in those cells as needed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:BenLoosli)

I went back and played with other options to finally get what we needed.

Took the existing BOM table with 5 columns in the repeat region.

Asses a new column and set it to comments.

Adjusted column widths and everything works fine.

The new column while in the Repeat Region does not repeat.

Experimented with multiple repeat regions on either side of the comments column and this also worked, except the item number and Qty columns were blank even though the first row had the right parameters. Also the Bulk Item relations gave errors about the parameters being invalid. This was strange because I copied the text from another BOM on the same sheet in the drawing file.

All resolved and on to the next issue.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Hi,

I tested "adding a column into existing repeat region"... (in Creo 2.0 M070)

I opened test drawing with existing repeat region.

rr01a.png

rr01b.png

I decided to add new column between two existing columns.

I clicked Add Column button and then selected location (see red circle) in top left corner of the cell containing asm.mbr.MASS_MAX parameter.

rr02a.png

New column was added.

rr02b.png

Conclusion:

• if you want to add new column before existing one then click top left or bottom left corner of the cell
  • if you want to add new column after existing one then click top right or bottom right corner of the cell

Martin Hanák

Note: You cannot add new repeat region column before first column of repeat region.

Martin Hanák
StephenW
23-Emerald II

Under Table - repeat region, there is a Comments command. You can add a column that is part of the repeat region, you have to set EACH cell as a comments cell and then the user can add text.

You could also use a component parameter to the assembly components and use it to add user entered.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:StephenW)

Component parameter will not work as the part could be in any of the 3 states depending on the assembly and application.

I tried the Comments command, but after adding the column, setting the cells to comment in the RR menu, It will still only allow me to edit the text in the first cell, which then gets populated to the whole column.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I double checked when I added a column to the right side of the repeat region, set the top cell to comment, I could add text to each cell individually.

Additionally, I fixed each index to something different and the comments cell "followed" as you would hope would happen. 

When I switch symbols, it shows those cells as blue, comments still appear I guess since they don't have a symbol.

repeatcomment.jpgswitchsymbol.jpg

Hi, I've had a similar issue and we had to recreate the repeat region.

This works for headers as well. as comment columns after. create the base table say for example 4 columns by 2 rows. So the top row will be a header row and the 4th column will be a comment column. The corners for the repeat region will be row 2 column 1 and row 2 column 3.

You can then manually add header information and comments independent of the repeat region.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Roy_Crerar)

Can you define multiple repeat regions in a table? I understand what you mean by defining the repeat region as being 1 column less of the table width and this last/first column becomes the comment column but not part of the repeat region. The column we want to put the comment text into is in the middle of the table. Columns 1-3 and 5-6 are the repeat ones and column 4 is the comment one.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I added a middle column to a repeat region.

Set that column to comments and it seemed to work just fine too.

The comment is part of the repeat region, it's only one region, if fact when you select a cell that isn't part of the region it gives you an error

***Cell has to be contained by at least one repeat region.
***Select a cell within a repeat region template.

middle colum.jpg

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Additional information

I was able to remove the repeat region from my original BOM table, insert a new column, then make 2 repeat regions on either side of my new comment column. So far so good. Everything updatyes like expected, so I saved the new BOM table. But it does have one issue!

Now for my issue and it has me stumped. The Quantity column in the original table was a repeat region relation formula of:

IF asm_mbr_type == "BULK ITEM"
quantity = "AR"
ELSE
quantity = rpt_qty
ENDIF

So it puts an A/R for the quantity of any Bulk Items.

In the original BOM table file, it works fine. When I added the new column to the right of the Quantity, it will not allow me to enter the relations and it did not maintain them from the old table.

testing with both BOM tables and the original one has the Qty and the values/relation. Adding the new table and I cannot edit the relations to add them.

Hi,

I did following successfully

1.] I added &rpt.rel.quantity into repeat region cell

2.] I opened repeat region Relations, added parameters rpt_qty and asm_mbr_type and closed dialog box

3.] I opened repeat region Relations, added your relations, verified them and closed dialog box

4.] I updated table ... everything is OK

Please prepare and upload test data. It enables me to investigate your problem.

Martin Hanák
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

I went back and played with other options to finally get what we needed.

Took the existing BOM table with 5 columns in the repeat region.

Asses a new column and set it to comments.

Adjusted column widths and everything works fine.

The new column while in the Repeat Region does not repeat.

Experimented with multiple repeat regions on either side of the comments column and this also worked, except the item number and Qty columns were blank even though the first row had the right parameters. Also the Bulk Item relations gave errors about the parameters being invalid. This was strange because I copied the text from another BOM on the same sheet in the drawing file.

All resolved and on to the next issue.

Top Tags