cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Adding Datum targets to a mirror merged assembly

pshepherdson
9-Granite

Adding Datum targets to a mirror merged assembly

Hi,

Having an issue trying to add ‘targeted datums’ (planes) onto a merged mirror part. We typically do parts (Sheet metal) them pull them into assemblies where we add our PEMs & such. I have a left & right part. The right is the master, and the left is a mirror merged part. Each have their own assembly (with pems 7 such) and each ahev their own drawing.  And, erach have their own dwg number, etc...

I managed to add datums to various surfaces in order to create GTOLs in the drawing with the original part. Now, when I try to create the same datums on the mirrored assembly (assembly with the mirror merged part) I cannot get the same datums. I can make datums, but they insist on being ‘ATSMXX’ or some other name I want to give it. I would like to give them the same datum identifiers as the original parts as detailed in the drawing, to keep consistency between the left & right parts.  But, when I try to label the datum as the corresponding datum, it says "Invalid, name in use".  And, I cannot seem to pull them up, assuming they are in use on the original model / part.

So, what is causing this conflict, and how can I get to use the same label on the corresponding datums? Is it an issue with the mirror merged part in the assembly?

Any help or insight is appreciated!

paul

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:pshepherdson)

We get this same problem with merge and inheritance parts we do. The work around is to temporarily rename your original datum in your original part, then create and name your mirror merge part datum. Then go back to your original and rename it back.  Sounds crazy but it works.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StephenW
23-Emerald II

We get this same problem with merge and inheritance parts we do. The work around is to temporarily rename your original datum in your original part, then create and name your mirror merge part datum. Then go back to your original and rename it back.  Sounds crazy but it works.

Thanks Stephen, it worked.  But I guess I shouldn't be surprised as to how to accomplish it... 

A bit of a go-around to open, save, close, open, save, close, clean memory, open, rename, save close re-do GTOLs....

I see mirroring parts as more of a hassle downstream, than the time it saves up front..

StephenW
23-Emerald II

You don't have to erase memory, you can just rename the datum, add the new one to the mirror part and then rename the old one back. Seems extra silly, I can't justify it, it just works.

rcook
6-Contributor
(To:StephenW)

Or you can just rename the datum in the mirror merge part. Go to File, Prepare, Model Properties, click on "change" in Names. You will see the list of datums from the original part. Simply rename the one you want to reuse, e.g. rename "A" to "A_ORIGINAL" and then you can re-use "A". This will NOT change the original part at all.

Renaming in the original part and switching back is essentially forcing Creo to do the same thing in the background...

Top Tags