cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Additional Process Drawing

sbots
9-Granite

Additional Process Drawing

I have been tasked with coming up with a solution for a new initiative at my company and while I have come up with several possible candidates each of them have their own problems.

First let me try to describe what we are trying to do. We currently have drawings of our components that are created by our design engineers and are used to describe the “customer” requirements. As part of a new part qualification process we would like to create an additional drawing that will describe the “process” requirements of the component. This process drawing may take several forms, a drawing showing the finished component and its process characteristics, maybe process dependent dimensions, acceptable parting line and gating information, characteristics that can inform tool wear, etc., or a drawing showing the component after a particular process step and the process characteristics of that process step, maybe dimensions of features created by a machining operation that that can indicate tool wear.

The problem we are having is what the data model should look like for the process drawings. What is the best way to create the process drawing, and the model that is driving that drawing? We think we want separate models for the design drawing and the process drawing, because we store drawing dimensions in the models, but we want changes made to the design model to be driven into the process model, maybe inheritance features but we will need to figure out how to manage that in PDM Link.

Has anyone else dealt with this situation or a similar situation? Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.

We plan to implement this solution in Widfire 4.0 with PDM Link 9.1 and Project Link.

Thank you in advance,

Scott

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
dgallup
4-Participant
(To:sbots)

There are a lot of different ways to do this. What I do requires a lot of forethought in the modeling process. First, if a part is cast or forged before a machining process then I use merge or inheritance to bring in the raw geometry. Then I make only cuts in the order of the machining operations. With family tables you can have an instance of every OP. This can get a little hairy if you have multiple finished parts each with multiple OP's but it is workable. So with one model you can have process drawings and product drawings with no inconsistencies.

In Reply to Scott Bots:
I have been tasked with coming up with a solution for a new initiative at my company and while I have come up with several possible candidates each of them have their own problems.

First let me try to describe what we are trying to do. We currently have drawings of our components that are created by our design engineers and are used to describe the “customer” requirements. As part of a new part qualification process we would like to create an additional drawing that will describe the “process” requirements of the component. This process drawing may take several forms, a drawing showing the finished component and its process characteristics, maybe process dependent dimensions, acceptable parting line and gating information, characteristics that can inform tool wear, etc., or a drawing showing the component after a particular process step and the process characteristics of that process step, maybe dimensions of features created by a machining operation that that can indicate tool wear.

The problem we are having is what the data model should look like for the process drawings. What is the best way to create the process drawing, and the model that is driving that drawing? We think we want separate models for the design drawing and the process drawing, because we store drawing dimensions in the models, but we want changes made to the design model to be driven into the process model, maybe inheritance features but we will need to figure out how to manage that in PDM Link.

Has anyone else dealt with this situation or a similar situation? Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.

We plan to implement this solution in Widfire 4.0 with PDM Link 9.1 and Project Link.

Thank you in advance,

Scott

Top Tags