cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Best practices to reduce design turn around time

ParthibanVaithy
1-Newbie

Best practices to reduce design turn around time

As per our experience it takes 1 day to do simple design changes and to keep the design parametric from Creo Schematics till Creo Parametric and drawing.

What is your experience? If it is couple of minutes, can you share the best practices followed?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

We are struggling with this as well.

The Schematics tool is very unstable and there is no integration between Parametric and Schematics. Iterations of designs in Schematics have to be manually updated in the Parametric drawings.

PTC suggested we do what we are already doing, export DXF & XLS from Schematics and import them into Parametric; very unhelpful.

Anyone have any success in developing a better process or is Schematics just a poor tool to use for cabling and fluid system design?

Hi Parthiban and Domingo...

Please understand I am saying this with the utmost respect and deference for your skills and experience... seriously. But if it's taking you a day to do simple design changes in Schematics and Cabling, you're doing it wrong.

I can respin a design in a few minutes - from Schematics to Cabling to the Assembly Drawing. I'll stop just short of claiming I can fix that blasted flattened harness in a few minutes - that would be a stretch. I might get lucky but we all know that flattening module is terrifying and extremely finicky. As a rule of thumb (flattened harness excepted), you should be able to make simple changes a matter of minutes. You should be able to make medium changes of routings, connectors, and wires/cables in an hour or two at most. Only for the most complex, far reaching changes should it take you a day or more to respin a design. I'm not counting the time to manage your data in Windchill, revise the drawing, etc. I'm just speaking about the effort required to do the work in Schematics and Cabling.

Domingo - I feel your pain with the constant exporting and importing between Schematics and Cabling. There's not really a better way right now. A bi-directional link would be very helpful. Other third party software plugins for Creo can do such things, you'd think PTC could figure this one out. I'd like to think it's on the drawing board. I'll ask at the next Technical Committee meeting!

Parthiban - Where do you find it taking you the most time? Are you struggling most with Schematics or Cabling? For example, are you having a relatively easy time changing your schematic but getting hung up on the 3D routings in Creo Parametric or the other way around? If you can tell me where your major pain points are, I might be able to suggest ways to streamline your process.

Thanks!

-Brian

I agree with Brian - "Simple" changes should not take an entire day to process, however your "Simple" may be my complex. With Logical Data from Creo Schematics feeding a Cable Assembly with a Network most changes should happen rather quickly. We keep our Schematics and our Cable Assemblies separate, so we do not have to mess around with export/import of DXF and CSV files into Parametric, we keep all of our designs in their Native tools so nobody attempts to "cut corners" by making that simple change the wrong way. We have begun giving our Schematics a unique drawing number so that when a change comes along that only affects one of the drawings there is no reason to go into both tools.

Top Tags