cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

CGM Import viewing

rdattilo
4-Participant

CGM Import viewing

Hello;

I'm a Solidworks user that has a customer that requires the cgm format for their purposes. Presently I output a dxf, fix scale issues, disappearing arrows, etc., then import the dxf into Creo, fix it again, in a drawing, & then output it to a cgm. We're communicating with a co. that has a translator/converter from pdf's to cgm, which would greatly simplify my process.

At this point when the I.T. department opens the file created through a view express, it looks quite good, but if I open the file in the Creo Parametric which I use to create the files, half the lines etc., are missing. (See Attachment); I use Creo 4.0\M060 parametric cad. Anyone have insight into why it's visible in the viewers but not the actual cad?  The customer uses these files to create their own drawings so I'm thinking they utilize cad of some kind.

Thanks in advance for any input, or other solutions to my objective.

Rob_D  Creo 4.0\M060

3 REPLIES 3
remy
21-Topaz I
(To:rdattilo)

Hi @rdattilo 

CAD data exchange is fascinating and can be overwheming.

The best piece of advice i can share after working 4 years for a CAD data translation company (before PTC) is to try everything.

Example: you may question the requirement to use CGM format at all? It is a Dassault file format. Consequently even though I'm confident with Creo's ability to export CGM, it is but not surprising that you may experience discrepancies.

Instead agree with your customer for a file format that suits best for both parties.: for you to focus on drafting and lower the effort of data translation.

if I understand it properly, the files that you share with your customer are exclusively drawings? 

If yes, then why not using DXF instead? 

All CAD is likely able to open this file format. Adding extra import/export stages may transform the data to an extent that is out of control.

Less is more.

rdattilo
4-Participant
(To:remy)

Hello;

They are pretty set on the cgm format. I can insert  a pdf into a Creo drawing, but when I try to save it out as a cgm, the pdf doesn't show up. Do you know what might be going on with that?

Thanks,

Rob_D

remy
21-Topaz I
(To:rdattilo)

Hi @rdattilo 

There can be multiple reasons.

You need to learn that data translation is a 3-fold data process:

1. reading : the import 
  2. transforming : the potential modification / translation of the data
  3. writing: the export

In your instance:

1. reading: Creo supports inserting a pdf in a drw
  2. transforming/exporting to CGM: how can you be sure that the pdf insert in the Creo drw is translated properly to as a pdf inserted in a CGM?
  3. reading: Creo reading a CGM file hoping that the pdf inserted in a drw had been translated properly

In this instance why simply keep the drawings as pdf? and insert them directly in Catia / Solidworks directly?

Top Tags